Friday, November 10, 2006

An Update on My Dream Team

The dream team meeting I fantasized about last month is becoming a reality. Finding a time when 5 professionals can meet may be an impossibility, but everyone is on board with my intention.

(For those of you who don't have a clue as to what this is about, on Sunday, October 8, in a post entitled: My Fantasy Team:
Now that I’m coming to a better understanding of my peculiar gait, I’ve created this fantasy of getting all the people who might be able to help me deal with it in the same room. With any sort of medical intervention, whether it is with medication or some alternative form of treatment, it’s so important that the components be compatible.)

I saw Dr. Spiegel, the physiatrist, yesterday and mentioned my idea to him. For a doctor whose practice is called “Onemedicine” and who claims to treat the whole person, it didn’t sound so radical. He asked that I schedule the appointment at the end of his work day so that he wouldn’t feel rushed.

The most difficult person to schedule is Dr. Spiegel because he has office hours in Virginia just one Thursday every 3 weeks. But I have an appointment scheduled for November 30 at 4:00 for this purpose.

Quentin, my PT, is covering for his office partner that week and Thursdays are late days for his office. But he agreed to think about how he could participate.

Reya, my massage therapist, has clients Thursday afternoons also, so I hope I can just book one of those slots and steal her away for this hour-long meeting.

Chris, my pilates instructor, usually sees me about this time on Thursdays. He just called to confirm that he can make it.

I have yet to talk to Leyla, my yoga teacher.

I started to worry just a little when I realized that the person I have charged with leading this meeting is the one I know the least. In fact, I have had but 2 appointments with him. Whereas I have known the other 4 for years and seen them countless times for treatment or classes.

I want to make absolutely sure that everyone’s professional contributions are considered on equal ground, regardless of title or years of training. I hope this can be a balanced discussion, where everyone has a chance to speak and give advice. I want them all to understand why I value each person enough to include him or her on this “dream team.”

I have a very positive feeling about this. My hope is that it will initiate an integrated approach to strengthening my body for the “end game,” as someone so aptly called the latter part of our lives.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know how many of these individuals read your blog (other than Reya), but if they did I think they would get a very clear understanding of their individual importance(s) in your healing. Barring that, you have made the idea so abundantly clear here, I have no doubt that they each understand that it is the sum of the parts of this treatment effort that will make a "whole" Barbara.

Many good wishes for the success of your dream team, which of course will be your success!

Luv,
K

12:39 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Thanks, Kate. I hope it works!

1:18 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I'm so happy the physiatrist is in! YES. He is leading the meeting because he is the genius who finally figured out what this issue is. EXCITING!!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I hope everyone else brings the same positive attitude to our meeting. My hope is that everyone can learn something from this experiment in integration.

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in okay? You can stop listing me as a maybe -- I'm moving all the Thursday evening people to Wednesday evening. Now the trick will be to remember what day it is when I get to Friday...

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home