Sunday, November 12, 2006

Just an Apple Dapple Sunday

When I think of Fall, I think of apples. So it’s not surprising that I decided to make an apple cake for the book club meeting tonight.

But this is not just any old apple cake recipe. It’s Rosa’s apple dapple cake, which she has made for me many times over the years. Rosa was once my secretary, who also served as a surrogate mother and was able to confront just about any dilemma head-on. She managed to raise 5 children while she helped support her family and always looked out for her parents until their dying day. I want Rosa’s strength and positive attitude as I slip into old age. They have served her well as she now approaches 80.

I love this recipe because it is forgiving and it always works.

Rosa’s Apple Dapple Cake

1-1/2 cups Canola oil
2 cups of sugar
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
3 cups chopped apples
1-1/2 cups chopped nuts
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg

Slightly beat eggs. Then mix with sugar. Add vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients. Add to eggs and sugar. Add oil, apples, nuts, and spices. Batter will be stiff. Bake in greased and floured tube pan or in 2 loaf pans at 350 degrees for an hour.

Topping

1 cup brown sugar
¼ cup milk
½ cup margarine

Cook 2-1/2 minutes. When cake is baked, pour topping over hot cake while still in pan. When completely cool, remove from pan.

I used less oil and sugar and guessed at some measurements and I just realized that I forgot to put in the nutmeg. But it will be fine. That’s what I mean by forgiving.

So pick or buy some beautiful Fall apples and make Rosa’s cake. You will love it!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm, yummm, it looks good!

7:10 PM  
Blogger Jamy said...

Yum! Do you peel the apples?

7:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

It was good. Yes, Jamy, you do peel the apples.

9:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I join my children in California for Thanksgiving and will make this dessert for their usual Saturday buffet dinner for friends. I am sure it will be a big hit. Thanks, Barbara.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- I'm sure they will enjoy it as much as my book club did. Nobody even detected the fact that I left out the nutmeg! But the best news of the evening was how much they all liked "The History of Love." I'm looking forward to the next book from Nicole Krauss after this one.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I'd try it but without much sugar and lots of splenda. I'd sub in applesauce for most of the fat and just put in 1/3 cup oil.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home