Thursday, November 09, 2006

A Poem I Like

This is a beautiful Billy Collins poem I promised to find for Pauline, a wonderful poet herself. I had published this on February 8, 2005, in a post about our upcoming poetry night.

Horizon by Billy Collins

You can use the brush of a Japanese monk
or a pencil stub from a race track.

As long as you draw the line a third
the way up from the bottom of the page,

the effect is the same: the world suddenly
divided into its elemental realms.

A moment ago there was only a piece of paper.
Now there is earth and sky, sky and sea.

You were sitting alone in a small room.
Now you are walking in the heat of a vast desert

or standing on the ledge of a winter beach
watching the light on the water, light in the air.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Thank you Barbara! It's one I had not read. This is exactly why I love Billy Collins - such simple thoughts written so eloquently. Have you ever read anything by Ron Koertge?

10:27 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I like Billy Collins. This reminds me of when you teach these art elements to Gr. 3's. I always love their pictures. Such a happy perspective on life with their sun and clouds with smiles and flowers everywhere!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- This poem comes from a collection called "The Art of Drowning." I love many of the poems it includes. I don't know Ron Koertge. Tell me more about him and his poetry.

MOI -- Exactly. When many children draw a picture, it's that horizon that first goes on the page. There's nothing better than a smiling sun on an 8-year-old's pciture.

12:10 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Ron Koertge is a children's book author but also a wonderful poet with a couple of poetry books to his credit. He was my instructor for six months, teaching this non-poet to find her rhythm. He has published in numerous magazines and has two books of poems for adults: Making Love to Roget's Wife published by the University of Arkansas Press, and Fever published by Red Hen Press. He's worth seeking out.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a beautiful poem. My favorite Collins poem is still the Paradelle for Susan, though ;o)

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home