Wednesday, February 21, 2007

A List for What?

My husband is a list-maker and a note-taker extraordinaire. When he goes out of town, he has a complete packing list which he updates for the particular trip. When he goes to a lecture of any sort, he carries a notebook and makes readable, useful notes.

So it was no surprise to find a list on the kitchen counter when I came downstairs this morning. But...

Pom juice, dark choc, almonds, wine
Fish Tuna Salmon
Tai chi
Dairy
Exercise
Sex

My guess was that he saw a program on TV last night that focused on “the fountain of youth”, a subject important to him as he celebrates his 60th birthday tomorrow.

He looks a lot younger than 60. No paunch. Not a single gray hair (and no Grecian Formula).

What’s interesting about the list is that it includes DAIRY, which he resolutely avoids because of lactose intolerance. And TAI CHI? He’s tried a lot of exercise, but not this one.

I can’t wait to find out the origin of the list and, more importantly, whether he plans any life changes as a result of this. (It didn’t say SEX with whom...) I guess we all are a bit of a Ponce de Leon at heart.

P.S. I wrote this earlier in the day and just came home to the following conversation:

D: Do you know where this HEALTH magazine came from?
B: Yeah, it’s a free subscription from our friend Ellen.
D: There’s a good article on aging in this issue.

Mystery solved. Now I want to read the article.

Go wish him a happy birthday!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent sleuthing! It was actually a list that culled 2 articles - "simple ways to add years to your life" and "9 secrets to a healthier heart". I just jotted down those that stood out.

Yeah, dairy is going to be hard. But,the good news is that "getting frisky" adds 3 to 8 years!! And, it's more fun than a yogurt.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I could afford to add a lot more of pretty much everything on that list to my life... I hope you both enjoy the birthday celebration!

11:19 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

In Shi'atsu school we were required to take t'ai chi twice a week. It's a slow martial art that increases balance and focus. The series of moves groom the energy field and awaken all meridians. It has all the benefits of yoga except you don't have to get down on your hands and knees all the time. I miss t'ai chi. It's such good stuff.

I'm also pro dk chocolate, almonds and wine, not to mention dairy, fish and sex. It's worth indulging in these items whether you plan to live a long life or not!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

My husband just turned 54 and still hasn't much gray hair but quite a bit showing up in his "big, red beard".

Can't to see his list! Actually, I'd be VERY surprised to ever see a list!

Hope you both have a swell time on his birthday crossing things off this list!!!!

5:10 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

Ah shucks, David stole my thunder! That's what I get for being so late.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Old Lady said...

I'm stealing that post card picture. It is great! Wish it were true.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I think he had a good birthday. I bought him a bottle of blueberry Pom juice. I made sure our choir director knew about the birthday so that one of our warm-ups at tonight's rehearsal morphed into Happy Birthday.

He did remind me that he (too) has gray streaks in his beard. But I think that's sexy!

I like all those things on the list too. Getting older doesn't really have to be so bad...

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home