Monday, February 19, 2007

The Rule of Three

Three is a number that just seems to permeate life. There was the story of the three bears. And then the three little pigs. Three strikes in baseball is the kiss of death. My father even had the rule of three: if someone offers to pay for something, decline 3 times and then gladly accept.

My current three experience is the onslaught of that cold I wrote about 10 days ago. I sensed two definite battles that I successfully won with my arsenal of Airborne. But I’m afraid to say battle number 3 is not going in my favor.

Here I sit on my last holiday until Memorial Day sniffling and sneezing. I didn’t feel like doing Quentin’s exercises this morning. I cancelled my “play date” with Deborah. I am bagging yoga. I have to be really sick to change my life this radically.

My husband, the Airborne evangelist, is urging me to continue to make myself a fizzy cocktail every few hours today with the thought that it might lessen the symptoms, lessen the duration of this garden-variety cold.

When I do get a cold, I always wonder where I picked it up. Is this the same germ I contracted 10 days ago as I sat next to the sniffling sneezer in the choir? Or was it the fact that at the Chinese restaurant last night I sat next to a door that kept bringing in cold air. Deborah says no to the latter. Just what is the gestation of a cold?

The good news is my wonderful husband is going to make a batch of Jewish penicillin for me later. His chicken soup is not terribly conventional. He puts things like broccoli and sweet potatoes in it. But there’s something about that soothing warm dill-flavored broth that works wonders on a cold.

My allegiance is going back to chicken soup! So much for Airborne.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ulysses said...

When I saw this posted twice, I thought maybe you were going to put up three copies.
Feel better soon.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Ulysses -- No, just New Blogger at its best! I did a double-take when I just checked in to find it twice. Fortunately we get an easy way to delete! Thanks for the well wishes.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mix a little or that airborne cocktail in and your cold won't have a chance.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I definitely wish you health. The soup sounds wonderful, the cold? Not so much.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

I have found little success in "natural" cold remedies. Echinaceae is a popular one, but I find it has no benefit for me. I did discover astragalus - which is an immune system booster (to be taken before you are sick, not during) that seemed to work very well. However, it had the unfortunate side effect of making my joints swollen, stiff and painful (like arthritis) - consequently, I don't use it.

Just rest and ride it through. There is no point in being a hero and trying to fight it.

The gestation period for an infection depends on the nature of the infection (how virulent it is), how strong your immune system is. But, typically, I believe it is 24-72 hours. So, I do not think this is the same sniffle you had 10 days ago.

I find keeping a hot water bottle on my chest helps (while keeping one foot exposed in the air to avoid overheating).

A garlic soup is good too. Mash a clove of garlic, add some salt, pour boiling water over it. You can liven it up by adding some day-old bread or left over potatoes.

5:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anonymous -- This humor could only come from the Airborne King himself. I will definitely not be mixing any of that stuff in with what smells like one of your best batches of chicken soup!

Kristin -- The cold sucks. I'm full of self-pity right now. I hope tomorrow is not such a sniffly sneezy day!

Richard -- You are a walking font of scientific and medical knowledge. I had already come to the same conclusion about the cold. No heroics, just a week of waiting it out. I'm glad it's just a cold.

6:04 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I've heard lots of people say that their cold has come back a few times so I figure there are just a lot of colds going around. I've only had one mild one but I'm not near kids as much as I've been other years.
David's soup sounds good.
I've heard people say they make a garlic paste and put it on their throat and chest but no thanks!

Can't you just picture Richard, all heated up from a scalding hot water bottle while sticking one foot way up in the air?!!

9:22 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- Yes, that image of Richard with the hot water bottle on his chest and his foot out sticking out was very intriguing. The soup was absolutely delicious -- the best batch ever! Now I hope its healing qualities go to work.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

So sorry you're sick! I just read a study that says that getting a cold or the flu once or twice a year is actually healthier than never getting sick, because with a cold your body is able to expel environmental toxins and reset its metabolism.

I, too, am a believer in Airborne, but chicken soup is a critical component, too, especially when made with love by David. You remember his chicken soup cured me last year when I got so sick.

Rest up, my dear, and feel better soon!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

MOI and barbara: it is not sticking out it in the air, just out from under the cover.

11:59 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Richard: Yeah, we know but my impishness got the better of me and mixed with my funny imagination, and propensity for hyperbole,it may have come off like teasing...! Sorry! It was done with friendly affection, though!

7:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home