Saturday, May 19, 2007

Hoping to Lose a Few

I feel that extra 3-1/2 pounds every time I put on a pair of pants and go to zip it up. I knew I was a little over the weight where my clothes all fit and yesterday at my physical I found out how much.

It sounds like nothing, but extra weight always sits just below my waist accentuating my pear shape.

Two years ago I had been 12 pounds lighter, giving me a somewhat gaunt look. So my current goal is only to get rid of the few extra pounds.

How to do that? Cut out sugar, bread, crackers, cheese, and chocolate. That’s hard for me because I crave all of those things, especially chocolate.

I was good at breakfast. But at lunch after services today, I ate half a bagel and had a chocolate dessert that was not even worth the calories. At Deborah’s house after we played music together, I simply could not pass up a homemade chocolate chip cookie. But no sugar in my tea.

3-1/2 pounds sounds like nothing. But it means I can’t wear the pair of pants I would like to wear to a party tonight. I’ve never been crazy about weight issues, never really having any to speak of. But I like my current wardrobe and would like it to fit. I will discover just a little self-discipline in the interest of not going shopping. After all, my big 40th high school reunion is coming up in a couple of weeks. I might even want to put on a swim suit since it’s at the beach.

How hard can it really be to lose 3-1/2 pounds?

7 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

I've been losing a pound a week and now, at 6 pounds lighter, I can fit into things I'd packed away just in case. It's such a good feeling I will have no trouble keeping on for a bit. How am I doing it? I'm using a desert plate instead of a dinner plate and I'm walking 3-4 miles a day.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

ermmm...that's dessert plate lol (though maybe a desert plate might speed things up.)

7:41 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

3 1/2 pounds? That's it? What are you kidding me? I'm still trying to lose that extra baby weight- and they're 25 and 26. YIKES!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Isn't it amazing what a difference just a few pounds can make? Your plan sounds perfect because you can maintain your weight that way. Bravo to you!

Gewels -- But think of all the great food you've cooked and eaten in those 26 years. You can always starting dieting tomorrow!

I had NEVER been on a diet until 3 years ago when I determined that 146 was pushing the scales just too much. I found it incredibly easy to lose weight with just a little willpower and a lot of exercise. The problem is in knowing when to stop losing. My goal is 135, but it's hard to figure out how to maintain a certain weight.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You can do it! I would imaging that you will be changing your exercise and diet a lot with retirement. Your weight will naturally change with it.

11:23 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I still think you'll find that you look better than most your age at that reunion. I hope that's true for me. I wanted to lose 8 for my high school reunion but it's next Sat.so it's too late. SIGH! Have to wear my bigger size jeans. I don't look obese (so people tell me!) for 5' 9" and 153, but it's just where it sits at the MENOPOT!

PAULINE: I sure wish I could walk 3 miles a day! How amazing! I only manage 1 .5.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I have come to actually enjoy jumping on the elliptical machine in my basement gym and pounding away every day. It feels good.

MOI -- I understand totally. If we could just choose where to put the extra pounds, all would be different! But you sound fine to me and I'm sure the buzz at the reunion is not going to be about what size jeans you are wearing.

I just got off the phone with my best friend in high school who is letting us stay in her brother's beachfront condo when we go to Panama City, FL, for my reunion. It should be a lot of fun!

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home