Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Making Biking History

You might be wondering what these 5 cards from the Goddess Guidance Oracle Cards have to do with the fact that today I rode my bicycle further than I ever have before – 31 miles to be exact. The connection is my friend Kris, who inspired our biking trip to the Eastern Shore today.

It was one of those picture perfect spring days when it’s warm and sunny with a breeze. The white clouds simply floated up there in a very blue sky. As we headed over the Bay Bridge with bikes on the back of our car, we pitied those going in the opposite direction to jobs and school and other required activities. On the trip over, we decided to do the circuit that contains Easton, Oxford, and St. Michaels. I knew this was about twice as long as my normal bike ride but figured it couldn’t be too hard because everything is so flat on the Eastern Shore.

I brought my camera but just never wanted to stop and take pictures of the field of red poppies or the field of green spring wheat or the field being tilled for corn. I saw the most beautiful purple bird but have no picture to offer you. We heard the water lapping everywhere but the recording is only in our heads.

The first leg of this trip landed us in Oxford, a little town that seemed totally asleep. We sat in a park by the water and ate a granola bar before searching for the ferry that would take us across some body of water to Bellevue. We piled on with 4 cars and 4 walkers for the 7-1/2 minute boat trip.

We took the only road that led away from the ferry landing although there was no sign pointing toward St. Michaels. An hour later we rolled into town feeling tired and famished. A restaurant called the Crab Claw seemed likely to have the crab cakes we had both been hoping for.

After we placed our order, Kris pulled a deck of Goddess Guidance Oracle Cards out of her backpack. Her daughter has taken up the religion of the goddess and presented Kris with these cards for a Christmas gift. She suggested that I pull 5 cards that might enlighten me as to what retirement will bring for me. You see my 5 cards above:

Athena – Inner Wisdom – “You know what to do. Trust your inner wisdom, and take appropriate action without delay.”
Nemetona – Sacred Space – “Create an altar or visit a power place to connect with the Divine.”
Sarasvati – The Arts – “Express yourself through creative activities.”
Vesta – Home – “Your household situation is improving, either through a move or a healthy change in the occupants.”
Artemis – Guardian – “You and your loved ones are safe and spiritually protected.”

Every one of these cards resonated with me. I looked at the cards I hadn’t chosen and these were indeed the 5 that most applied to me.

The crabcakes upstaged the oracle cards and we had no trouble cleaning our plates. We then poked around some of the quaint shops, where I bought a couple of things before we got back on the bikes. By this time I was becoming intensely familiar with the feel of my bike saddle.

After a lemonade break midway, we reached Easton once again, found the car, and headed home.

At one point I asked Kris if she could ever have imagined her mother riding a bicycle. I never saw my mother get on one. This made us both feel good that we as 58-year-olds could tackle a 31-mile trip and not wimp out of any part of it. I even had the added bonus of having my cards read as an appetizer to lunch. You can’t beat a day like that!

11 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I love poppies and I love the fact that you enjoyed them without taking a picture. As much as I love photography, sometimes it's nice to keep a memory without proof.

10:19 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Good job! I take it you didn't get the killer headwind? That can more than counteract flat terrain, and practically make you go backwards. I get it here at the beach. Maybe you should train for the next Seagull Century!

12:47 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I have a love/hate relationship with my camera. I always want the pictures after the fact, but sometimes it's a bother to take them.

Matt -- I think the headwinds between Oxford and St. Michaels were why I was so beat by the time we got there. Tell me more about the Seagull Century. I take it that it is a 100-mile ride. How many days? I think much more than 30 miles a day would be pushing my limit!

9:47 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Sounds like a PERFECT day with PERFECT weather.
There is something about driving east over the bay bridge- I feel it every time I hit the crest of the bridge and look across the water to the Eastern Shore.
St. Michael's is a very quaint town, as is Oxford. I'm actually looking to move to Easton- I love their Main street area too- like smalltown U.S.A.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels -- I must say as I crested the Bay Bridge my attention was much more on the bikes on the back of my car, making sure they didn't fly off and cause an accident after the recent fatal accident on that bridge.

As much as I like these quaint little towns, they may be a little too small for me right now. Maybe some day I will feel differently about this. So for now I am a doting visitor.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Was the new seat effective?

Sounds like a fabulous ride, and a fabulous card reading, too. See? You should write a novel, lots of excitement, action and plenty of sex. It could be centered in DC and be called "Rock Creek." That's my divination for the creative arts ahead! (Well, and music, too, of course!)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- The new seat accomplished its purpose. I still wish someone would design a seat that would provide total support instead of simply offering a "perch". I found that if I leaned forward and gripped the handlebars like a racer I could pedal more effectively and take some of the weight off my bottom. There's good news and bad news to no hills. It means you are ALWAYS pedaling!

As for the book, I haven't yet convinced myself I can write a stort story, let alone a book. I'll make a deal with you -- I'll attempt it after you publish yours. How's that?

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great trip - wish I could have been there with you. I wondered about the new seat, but you answered that one. Still sounds better than your old one. So, about these cards:

Wondered about this one:
Vesta – Home – “Your household situation is improving, either through a move or a healthy change in the occupants.”

You're not planning on kicking me out,are you? Or does this portent a move to somewhere?
However, it seemed countered nicely by this one:

Artemis – Guardian – “You and your loved ones are safe and spiritually protected.”
That was my favorite.

BTW, are there any bad fortunes in these cards?

2:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

David -- Of course I'm not kicking you out! I think the change refers more to my lifestyle in retirement than to yours which hasn't changed appreciably recently.

There are no bad cards in the deck (no grim reaper cards), but some are much more appropriate than others.

3:09 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

wow-very commendable- iv'e been riding 2 years annd haven't done more than 25...hell of a job and so good that you enjoyed it!
be safe!

4:06 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I wondered the same as David about the occupants of your house changing!

That's quite a ride! I think you will be in better shape in retirement than when working. I know I am! I only do 10 k rides.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home