Sunday, May 27, 2007

Towels that Match


I’ve always wanted to open the linen closet door and see things that matched instead of the hodgepodge that was there. Nice thick towels instead of the mismatched ones with the raveling hems, some of which have other people’s names written in black magic marker, reminiscent of swim team days.

Today I tackled the linen closet in my series of cleanup projects that could well go on forever. I am getting rid of all the sheets that no longer fit the beds we have. I am getting rid of the well-worn towels. That doesn’t leave a lot.

There’s the off-white woolen blanket my parents gave us when we got married. We have never used it because it really doesn’t get cold enough here to need such a blanket, but it simply can’t be discarded... yet. There are a few spare pillowcases that match what is currently on our beds. There are exactly 2 sets of respectable towels.

I just went online and ordered 4 sets of new towels – all luxurious Turkish towels, all in the same color (grass). I can’t wait till they arrive and I can finally not cringe when I open that closet.

Some of the other old towels will be recycled to the laundry room for wiping dogs’ feet and other miscellaneous jobs befitting a frayed old piece of terry. I can see a trip to the Salvation Army for the rest of the closet contents, hopefully finding homes that need my castoffs.

5 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I know exactly what you mean! We still have some from our wedding! And for my wedding,I got 2 of those Kenwood wool blankets with the satiny-silk ribbon edging like the blankie I used to carry as a kid! It does get cold enough here to use them but I just took the wedding white one out of the box last year!

Enjoy the new matching towels. I'm thinking of getting into that green too for our new washroom in the reno.

5:41 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

So nice to get all new matching towels. Only problem- here anyway- it seems that within a week of buying all brand new ones the edges fray. What's with that?

7:30 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

If you have nice sheets for single beds, will you save them for me? They fit nicely on massage tables. Thanks and Bravo!!

9:09 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- You described our blanket perfectly. It is too nice to give away even if we never use it!

Gewels -- I surely hope my new towels don't fray at the price I paid for them!

Reya -- I found some sheets that may work for you. I'm sending them in with your 12:00 client!

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you mean!!!! I 'inherited' towels when my mother and father passed....some that were older than I. They've become so thin, you can almost see through them - yet I still wash, dry, fold, place and use as if they were the plush towels I'd love to have. You mentioned that you were going to give some of your old ones to Salvation Army - I'm going to donate some of the 'better' old ones to the local kennel for the dogs that are there to lay on. :)

4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home