Sunday, June 03, 2007

Back to Health All of a Sudden

I know this sounds crazy, but there have been two times in my life when I actually felt a virus leave my body – this recent illness of mine and a really bad one a long time ago. When my husband asked me when I started feeling better and I told him that I was suddenly 100% better at 11:15 p.m. last Thursday, he looked at me like I was nuts.

I remember vividly the occasion on which this also happened in the fall of 1966. It was my senior year in high school. I was going from Panama City, FL, with a group of friends first to Gainesville to watch our high school football team compete in some regional playoff and then on to Tallahassee to watch an FSU football game. The day before we were to leave I became quite sick. My mother took me to the doctor who prescribed an Rx (which probably did no good against a virus) and I left with the group, as sick as I can ever remember being. I was constantly taking Excedrin to keep my fever down and sucking on throat lozenges and of course taking the antibiotics. After being so sick for 4 days, as we were walking down Jefferson Street in Tallahassee headed toward the stadium for the game, I suddenly was completely well. It was as though I breathed in and then breathed out the virus. I never took another pill and I enjoyed the game immensely, as I always enjoyed college football (even uninebriated).

The very same thing happened this week just as I was getting ready to go to bed last Thursday. I had still been sniffling and sneezing and coughing throughout the day and was anticipating another night with difficulty sleeping. But after the 11:15 magical moment, there was no need for another Kleenex and the sneezing and coughing simply stopped altogether.

I would ask my doctor friend Deborah about this, but she is far too practical to believe in such things. I will admit that most illnesses gradually subside, with the symptoms lessening each day until they are gone. But on these two occasions, it was as though the virus simply moved on.

Come to think of it, the next day is when my husband determined that he indeed had the same thing I did. Could that possibly be? Maybe this virus has more than artificial intelligence...

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

How interesting. I've never noticed the moment I started feeling better. Are you more in tune with your body? Is it mind over matter? Whatever it is, I'm glad you're feeling better.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

That last is a scary thought...I do know what you mean, though, as it's happened to me, too. I am glad to find I am not as "weird" as I've been called :) Glad, too, that you are feeling better. I am looking forward to hearing about the reunion!

6:33 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Some ailments come on fast and leave in the same way, some linger. I've had that sense, many a time, that whatever it was attacking my body had been vanquished. The battle is over and sometimes it's possible to feel it.

There are women who can feel the moment of conception. There are humans who can feel all kinds of things going on inside the body. In fact, officially there are 13 senses, most of the extras (after the usual 5) are interior body senses. Did you know that??

Anyway the most important thing is: You're well! Bravo! Awards to your immune system that has, once again, triumphed over the evil empire of the flu virus. Yay!!

8:14 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I cured a cold one time with a Fifth of Southern Comfort. drank the whole thing, sucker-punched my best friend; he thopught I was going to hug him, and I think i was, but for some reason changed my mind at the last second. I woke up the next morning and felt like a Million bucks but had no recollection of anything, including a girl named Denise.
I have never been able to drink Southern Comfort since then.

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

looking2live - i believe in share and share alike, but this was 1 time that I would have preferred you kept this little virus to yourself.

Steve - Why in the world would you never drink S.C. again? Look at the great night you had - you vanquished your cold and apparently Denise as well!

4:26 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

I have experienced feeling a cold lift (as well as come on). In either case, I am skeptical until I have more supporting evidence (usually a day or two of feeling better).

Of course, I cannot claim the same precision as you, but I can sometimes say, around 2 in the afternoon I started feeling better.

It may well be that your body has defeated the cold earlier on and what you are noting is the final draining of diseased fluids (that is my rational explanation).

7:21 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

This often happens with kids, but I've never experienced it. Wish you could bottle whatever it was!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home