Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Dirty Dell

If only someone could vacuum me out and tighten my wires like the Indian guy just did to my Dell, maybe I would now be 100% recovered. My Dell is happily purring away once again, my hard drive is intact, and I am sicker than ever.

I have never had such a peculiar virus. I wondered if it was chronic fatigue syndrome or fibromyalgia before the cold-like symptoms kicked in. I have zero energy and my neck and head are terribly achy. I’m sneezy and sniffly and have ugly looking stuff in my throat. I am a real mess. Despite my sense of renewed energy yesterday, I am still dragging around.

I managed to haul the Dell out to the computer geek who agreed to look at it this morning. Meanwhile I parked myself in the Whole Foods café area with a cup of green tea and a book. Before I had finished the Cheerios I brought, I got a call from the computer guy saying my computer was fixed and ready to be picked up.

I ended up paying $55 for him to vacuum out my dusty Dell and tighten a cable. Then my old computer was as good as new. He pushed the power button and it hummed to life.

I wish I could rid myself of this malaise so easily. As I sit here sipping my Odwalla PomaGrand juice, I keep hoping the cold germs will give up on me and move on to someone else. But healing the human body is usually not so instantaneous. Instead it calls on patience, that quality I’m not well endowed with, as we wait out the sweating and sniffling and sneezing and throat-clearing that must accompany a return to good health.

Instead of sitting around feeling a little depressed, I should be rejoicing that I no longer have to take sick leave to stay home, that it’s a good thing this happened BEFORE my 40th reunion weekend, and that my computer has rebounded to full health. Maybe I’ll work today on learning gratitude and patience as I wait for my body to do the same. Maybe I’ll make a pot of chicken soup on the off chance that it might speed things along.

7 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Sorry to hear you are sick. You have probably been lucky enough to pick up some bug sufficiently different from anything your body has seen before. Rest, rest and more rest will help. If you have white spots on your throat, then you might have a bacterial infection.

12:18 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Sorry to hear you are under the weather....chicken soup sounds like a GREAT plan!

Thank God you got the Dell up and running- I need that guy's name. Last time mine went on the fritz it cost me over 600.00...and, he never reloaded photoshop...and he never brought the photoshop disc back....and now, I don't know where the hell he is... so here I sit photoshopless.

Can I have some chicken soup now too?

2:09 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- I think it's just a nasty cold, but I will watch out for white spots. I always wondered how to tell the difference.

Gewels -- I will send you the Indian guy's name. I was quite impressed with their thoroughness and the fact that they fixed it so fast.

The chicken soup is starting to smell good. Even I can smell it. It must be the ginger and dill and garlic I threw in. Anything and everything goes into my chicken soup. Too bad I can't send you a taste!

3:36 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

If you really rest seriously and don't feel better in a few days, you could get swabbed for strep, just to be sure.

i think it's part of your systemic cleansing. I bet you're going to feel like a million bucks when you come out of this!

Much love to you!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I'm not one of those people who gets strep. It's probably been 30 years since I had it. I always ran a fever the few times when I did and this current bug of mine has spared me the fever. Seems like a garden-variety cold. I do think it will be a good feeling to be rested and cleansed of whatever this is.

9:52 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Doesn't it seem weird to be sick in the nice weather? You always figure it's just for winter.
get better for that reunion! Mine was this weekend and I had a blast! Should have taken more pictures though, but I was too busy talking!!

9:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- I will definitely be working on getting well during the next 10 days!

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home