Monday, May 28, 2007

On the Blink


My computer is fried and so am I. Last night’s thunderstorm did in my poor Dell to the point that it makes no attempt to boot or come to life. I’m struggling with a springtime virus that has made me feel just about the same way.

We have surge protectors on every computer in our house, thinking that will save us from the devilish lightning that so often flashes during a thunderstorm. But last night as I was dealing with a storm-crazed Jake, my Dell died a quick and total death. It’s probably the power supply since there is not even a buzz when you push the power button. Tomorrow I will take it to a computer geek who claims he can fix it in 2 hours.

It made me stop and think about what is stored on that machine and not backed up. There are lots of things I would rather not lose, so I hope the lightning stopped with the power supply and didn’t wipe out the hard drive. Maybe this is the swift kick I need to start backing up files I don’t want to lose. Will I learn? Probably not.

As for my malaise, it started last Thursday when I noticed that I seemed to be moving in slow motion with difficulty. I had just had a complete physical with blood work that attested to my excellent state of health. By Saturday I had a scratchy itchy throat and a slightly runny nose. Allergies? Maybe, but allergies don’t usually cause me to want to take multiple naps a day. Today I think I’m starting to feel some energy coming back. Hopefully there will be no need to consult a doctor and the virus will simply run its course, as they always do.

This is actually the first day since I retired that I have felt sorry for myself. My ailing computer and ailing body have left me feeling a little low. The good thing about being sick is you really appreciate being well when you are once again. I’m ready!

10 Comments:

Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Your computer and body were in synch! I felt relief when I got sick after taking a leave from school because I didn't have to worry about my job, or preparing /marking work etc. I took the time I needed to do what I had to do for my body without having to consider anything else.
Hope you're better. I've had some allergy stuff for just the last 2 years and it does leave me tired. I've had blocked Eustachian tubes for 2 1/2 months and finally went to the Doctor today and got nasal spray! it's like I have water in my ear all the time. I waited too long since I'm always there and don't want to bug him unless it's big....silly!

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you feel better soon. I too am consumed with feeling ill (started on Sat and I think is a Summer Flu) and my computer on the fritz. Add to that all this work I was supposed to do from home and bc of comp/health problems, I have not been able to do.

BAH!We both deserve to feel better soon. Stress and health issues stink. ESPECIALLY in this putrid weather. :(

5:24 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Hope you're feeling better! (You and your Dell.)

I've missed blogging the past few days. The grands were here and the computer was theirs for the duration. The latest craze is WebKinz. Besides that, we went to the farm, fed the cows and the baby lambs, planted my entire garden in one morning's blaze of work (sing the praises of crooked rows!) and made some wonderful meals.

Congratualtions to your whiz-kid son for passing the bar and to you for ordering those towels :)

5:50 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I hope that both you and the computer feel better soon!

8:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- Hope your ears are better soon!

Kassy -- We sound like twins! The computers will get fixed and we will get well and will quickly forget whatever this aggravating bug is, but for now being less than 100% sucks!

Pauline -- Sounds like you had good reason to be diverted from Blogging. Please tell me you sang "Inch by inch, row by row" as you planted the garden!

Kristin -- This too shall pass!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

lol Barbara - I saw Arlo Guthrie (who lives in a neighboring town and who waves to me whenever I see him) perform that live in Hartford years ago and I sing it everytime I plant something!

6:53 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Your body is dancing in shamanic alignment with your recent bout of cleansing. Maybe even your computer needed to be cleaned out, who knows?

Take it easy, my dear one. Let your body come back on its own because you actually have the time to do so! thinking of you with love, and thanks for the sheets!!

8:54 AM  
Blogger Mike Minzes said...

I enjoy his blog very much! I will be back for more.
-0-0-

2:10 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- I'm envious that you are on a wave-basis with such a musical great!

Reya -- My Dell and I are both working hard at gettting cleaned out. So far the Dell is out ahead of me. I am following your sage advice to do nothing and hope it works!

Mike M -- Welcome back any time. How did you find me?

3:32 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Got a nose spray but he said it may take 2-3 weeks before it clears!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home