Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Surprise in Every Box


When I was a kid, I often chose my cereal by what “prize” was included in the box or by the offer on the back of the box. My favorite of all time was a water-filled rocket you launched from the ground. Today I discovered a surprise I would never have expected to find, but it wasn’t in my Cheerios.

As I ran out the door to take the Dell to the computer doctor, I grabbed a small pack of tissues that had surfaced in one of my recent cleaning frenzies. I had probably picked it up on some trip that took me through Europe.

Two tissues in I came across a small sealed packet, thinking it highly unusual to find anything other than tissues in the pack labeled Tempo. At first I thought it might be hand disinfectant or perhaps hand lotion, but upon closer inspection it turned out to be a condom with a brandname of Akuel and an expiration date of 08/2003. (I guess I didn’t realize that condoms expired.)

What an odd pairing of things – tissues and condoms. What sort of society would put these together? And sell them in an airport?

I looked a little closer at the tissue pack to try to discover where it was manufactured. Procter & Gamble but with at least 7 different European addresses.

We haven’t needed these for a while now (thank God) and it’s a good thing since this one is 4 years past its expiration date!

7 Comments:

Blogger Ulysses said...

No one wants to be the person who snores afterwards.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Ulysses -- Huh? I don't get it. Please explain. Somehow I don't think blowing your nose fixes snoring...:)

8:35 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I think I might have snorted just reading this. I definitely would have snorted finding a very expired condom in with my tissues.

8:57 AM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Personally, I think they should make condoms the prize even in Cheerio boxes- what with today's youth, and all.

No, really, I'm just kidding!!
Don't give me that look!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Yes, I was quite surprised!

Gewels -- Now there's a concept. But then the makers of Cheerios probably wouldn't want the ire of the Catholic Church, would they? I'm just assuming that the Church still condemns any form of BC.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

At least you could sure put the tissue to good use!
In fact maybe you could fill the condom with your runny nose! Just attach it and you wouldn't even have to blow your nose!!

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MOI - very creative - except wouldn't that be self defeating for the kleenex manufacturer. I can see a relationship - both are for excess bodily fluids, no?

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home