Sunday, July 15, 2007

$2 Books, Camelot, and Wire Sculpture


I can’t imagine why I was complaining about being cold earlier on this the most beautiful day imaginable. It’s Sunday, a day of leisure with no classes but always plenty to do.

We read the Chautauqua Daily News over coffee and Cheerios, with its no bad news, to learn more about the prodigy pianist who wowed us at last night’s concert.

Then we headed off on a 10-mile bike trip to explore the area around the lake. The end of the road for us today was a book store that offered a plethora of books at just $2 and even had a table of free books, among them the New Testament in Chinese. I passed that one up even though the cost was right.


Back “on the grounds” as they call the Chautauqua proper, I rode down by the lake, breathing in the fresh air and the scenery. All of a sudden I heard church bells – it was Sunday after all. But mixed in with the Christian hymns was the theme from Camelot. This place is more than a little like Camelot.



This afternoon we checked out the craft fair that is taking blace on Bestor Place. There are some really pricy works of art, ranging from sculpture to painting to jewelry to clothing. I bought a little purse for $14 to carry around the bare essentials, as I seem to avoid carrying a heavy purse these days.

But the coolest thing at the craft fair was the wire sculpture by Ron Stattner, who currently lives on Maui. David and I looked at his work and both said “Larry Bowers”, our dentist who loves jazz and art. There was also a yogi that would look great in Capitol Hill Yoga.


Tomorrow chamber music class starts, but today I am simply sampling the smorgasbord of Chautauqua in 72 degree sunny weather with blue sky and a constant breeze.

8 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Love those swooning dancers and would give up choclate to have a wander through that bookstore! I love when you take trips - you should be a travel writer!

6:37 PM  
Blogger avocadoinparadise said...

Do you still attend the wednesday night meditation? I might check that out sometime soon!

Enjoy the trip!!

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two posts in a day? But, but, but, this is supposed to be a vacation!

10:21 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- You have excellent taste. The dancers carry a price tag of $850. I don't think they will be coming home with us.

Avocado -- Yes to Wed night meditation, but not this week, at least not in DC.

Velvet -- Sunday was slow and I really love to have time to take pictures and talk about them. There was still plenty of time for sparks!

7:57 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:58 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Where did David get those socks?

10:12 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Sounds like a fabulous break.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love that the hymns were mixed with Camelot!

All the pics were blocked out for me! RATS!

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home