Friday, July 20, 2007

So Much for the Commune


A week with 5 other people is reminding me that it’s a good thing I don’t live in a commune. There is no better way to learn the idiosyncracies of people than to cook and keep house with them. We are all rather opinionated, or so it seems.

The first controversy was how to thaw the 8 frozen hamburgers we inherited in the freezer. Two people, including a doctor, were in favor of leaving them out on the kitchen counter all day. I advocated a few hours out and then back in the refrigerator to continue thawing. I had read multiple things about the dangers of meat left at room temperature. When they weren’t looking I put them back in the fridge at lunch and they never knew the difference since I was making the spaghetti sauce.

Then there’s the issue of how to deal with people with dietary likes and restrictions. For example, David and Mary are lactose intolerant. Neal doesn’t like lettuce or salad dressing. A couple of people are of the mindset that you just cook and they can choose to eat it or not. I heard Bill, last night’s cook, remarking in the kitchen, “They can just take the damn pills,” obviously talking about his choice to cook with cheese.

This collective living reminds me how much my husband I have moulded our lives together, so there are really very few issues like these. We of course have our own likes and dislikes, but by now they are mostly known and accepted.

Tomorrow we head home, where we can thaw our meat as we wish and choose to serve the cheese on the side. It’s been great in many ways, but sometimes 6 opinions is just 4 too many.

10 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

I would have just cooked the hamburgers frozen

I have a hard time adapting to other people. When I was a student, I always had my own apartment and never had a roomie – which would have driven me crazy.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Richard -- I have been vindicated. Thi s article recommends thawing meat in the refrigerator, in cold water, or in the microwave. Ha!

11:07 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

A few years back, I got a Thanksgiving Turkey from a Charity Organization and they suggested that I thaw it out in the dishwasher...
Your article is correct.
I always get in trouble in other folks homes when I crack eggs because it is my habit to put the empty shells back in the carton!

11:40 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- What cycle was the dishwasher to be run at? :)

I do the same thing with eggshells. Maybe we should cook together.

1:23 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

This post made me chuckle...

I know you've been married for a long time, Barbara...the things you talk about in this post give you a small peek into what it's like to date again and start new relationships! Oh the negotiations over the small stuff! :)

3:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Aileen -- You're right. You don't appreciate how many things have gotten worked out over the course of 30 years until you start all those negotiations over again with someone else. It actually makes me realize how like-minded my husband and I are on most of these things that can take on a life of their own.

3:16 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

A doctor recommended leaving frozen meat on the counter all day long to thaw? Holy cow!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Matt -- My reaction exactly! Get the medical profession outside their offices and sometimes they surprise you. But I stood my ground not wanting to get food poisoning when I could avoid it!

10:33 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

I think sometimes 6 opinions can be 6 too many.

Did I tell you that at my nephew's wedding weekend, living with 15 other family members, I was voted "most adaptable" ?? Nice, huh? Though I might have preferred to be voted most popular. Oh well. I'll adapt to the honor.

Welcome home!

8:50 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- If we had had a poll, I probably would have gotten "most adaptable" too. I grumble but only under my breath. Keeping peace at all cost seems to be my outward goal.

I'm sad to leave this place on the nicest day since we arrived, but we have to return to reality!

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home