Thursday, October 25, 2007

Multi-Tasking

I felt slightly like I had been reading a book during the sermon as my friend Kris and I planned our next vacation while holding up signs like “Honk for Darfur” in front of the Sudanese Embassy today.

It was bone-chilling cold in the misty rain. If I hadn’t been married to the organizer, I would have happily opted out. But he needs help carrying the signs and he needs bodies to hold them. So Kris and I are his most faithful protestors, showing up most every month.

Given a number of reports of less than perfect vacations to Greece, we decided yesterday to think about another place for our next major vacation. The four of us are ideal traveling companions, having now done Tuscany and Provence together. If we could survive France with 4 bikes on a Kangoo, we can go anywhere together.

So to distract ourselves from the penetrating cold today, we talked about the Amalfi Coast, Sicily, Pompei, Kauii, other sites in France, and food – lots of food. Homemade pasta with rich tomato sauce. All that wonderful food of southern Italy.

Every 5 minutes I checked my watch to see if we could quit asking motorists to honk their horns in protest of the atrocities in Darfur. By the end of the hour, I was incredibly hungry and ready to get on the first plane going anywhere warm.

I came home and cooked pasta and that homemade tomato sauce. I poured myself a glass of good red wine and sat down to a feast.

I hope none of those passing by knew that my mind was not focused on Darfur. They still honked their horns, so it must not have been too obvious.

8 Comments:

Blogger media concepts said...

At least your body, if not your mind, was present. If more of us thought about less fortunate people in Darfur and even here at home while planning vacations, shopping and watching television, maybe more would get accomplished.

7:29 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Matt -- Now that's food for thought...

10:18 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

As your stand-in Jewish mother, i would like to remind you that fall has arrived. It's time to once again face your irrational distaste for jackets, scarves and gloves. You MUST dress for the weather!

One of my clients, who rides her bike to work every day, including all winter long says, "There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing."

Maybe a trip to REI?

8:43 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- I have plenty of winter clothes. I just hate wearing them. Remember, I grew up in Florida. Before we left (and I had felt the cold), I teased my husband about bringing gloves and snowboots. I should in fact take my lead from him, because his Jewish mother trained him to be prepared for any weather eventuality.

8:47 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

As I was reading this post, had this sneaky feeling that you about to announce to us all that you and David were GOING TO DARFUR for your next Vacation.
At least you could leave the Jacket at home.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Being there physically, if not completely mentally, says a lot more than devoting your mind but not your body or time, says the girl who didn't show. (Work's nutty, but I should do better at prioritizing.)

11:18 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- No, sorry to say, Sudan (Darfur) is not up there on our collective "top 10 places to go".

Kristin -- I look forward to seeing you whenever your busy work schedule permits. Most of us who show up to protest no longer have a work schedule!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

This weekend there were demonstrations in 24 cities across Canada against our involvement in Afghanistan. Every bit helps with this type of thing.

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home