Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Princesses Come in All Sizes


Reminiscent of the Three Bears, there is the large tutu, the medium tutu, and the small tutu. Hopefully elasticized waists will make up for the fact that I didn’t have any measurements to go by.

I talked to the person who works at the shelter today about exactly who needed what in the way of costumes, trying to push the idea of using various pieces to come up with costumes for the children. She mentioned three little girls who wanted to be princesses and could probably wear the homemade tutus. All I have to go on is

– A large 5-year-old
– A small 2-year-old
– A large 3-month-old (and why does a 3-month-old need a costume?)

Never before have I sewed anything for someone I have never seen and for whom I have no measurements. It should be interesting to see just how they fit.

I went through the boxes of costumes in my attic and came up with a vampire cape and teeth, a purple and gold king’s cape, bunny ears, and a plush wolf mask.

The funniest part of our conversation had to do with Thanksgiving, and not Halloween. She asked me if I had a turkey costume. It seems one of the mothers wants to dress her son up as a turkey for Thanksgiving. I politely told her that I didn’t have that one in my attic and wondered to myself just what the turkey boy was supposed to do!

Tomorrow I’ll drop off the bits and pieces I’ve collected from friends and my attic, and of course the 3 tutus. It’s at least a good start on Halloween attire for these kids.

14 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

what fun it would be to see them dressed up in all their Halloween finery. You amaze me - what a neat thing to do for those kids!

6:45 AM  
Blogger Richard said...

For years, Tania has always wanted to be princessy type things, this year she wants to be a witch.

It sounds like you are having a lot of fun in your retirement.

Do you miss work, or do you wish you had left 20 years ago?

8:35 AM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

And are you going to make some adult costumes as well?

A witch costume for the mother who wants the turkey costume for her son maybe?

This is a great thing you are doing Barbara.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- Yes, hopefully they will fit and hopefully someone will take a picture.

Richard -- Work was really good for me in many ways, for one giving me a generous annuity each month so I can spend it on things like costume fabric. But since I retired in May, there has not been a single day when I woke up and wanted to go into the office. There is a time for everything!

9:22 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Rise -- Adult costumes are just the X-large of the kid variety!

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good for you!!! now..i want to be a princess!
xoxo

9:36 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Blond -- We're all princesses. Some of us just don't wear tutus!

11:10 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

One of my coworkers wanted to take the holiday off so she could take her 3-month-old trick-or-treating. I don't know why a 3-month-old needs a costume, trick-or-treating or candy, really. I suppose it's more for the parents.

Beautiful tutus. Great work on your part.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I quite agree, but some day the child may look at her picture at 3 months and vicariously remember that Halloween!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth L.~ said...

All I know is two of the three children will be delighted. The three month-old not so much. You must be loving what you are doing. So nice to touch lives that way.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

RuthD -- Just like in the old days, I stayed up way too late last night making tutus, but yes I do like what I'm doing!

9:14 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I'd love to go and look in your attic! It's so great you can do this.

11:31 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Just curious whether you went to their Halloween party and if so, did you see your costumes?

Kate

6:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- I opted to let them have their party without outside guests. I will find out on Thursday when I go to read just how it went.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home