Monday, January 14, 2008

Answering a Call for Help

I’ve been on a state of high alert ever since I received Glenda’s call this morning telling me she was in labor and needed to go to the hospital. Envisioning myself delivering her baby in the car, I grabbed my husband away from his conference call with a client and said, “Come on, we are taking Glenda to the hospital.” He willingly came along on this mission of mercy.

We made it to her apartment in Roslyn in record time and after our call out came a scared girl with a belly the size of a giant basketball. No one had been home when she went into labor. She said her pains were 3 minutes apart as we sped away toward Arlington Hospital. As she suffered in silence, my husband called ahead to try to find out where she should go.

Unfortunately the instructions to take her to the Emergency Room turned out to be wrong. So after getting poor Glenda out of the car and back in, we headed to another building where labor and delivery take place.

There was no one to meet her with a wheel chair. Instead I accompanied her up to the third floor where I wished her luck as I turned her over to the staff.

I feel like I’ve been pacing the floor smoking a Stogie as I wait to find out the news. I finally called this afternoon and spoke to Glenda, still in pain but with no baby delivered yet. Her mother had left her restaurant job to be with her in the hospital, so I was glad she had company.

I’m sure this is just good practice for when I have grandchildren. But it’s exciting and a little scary at the same time.

Meanwhile I called her school to let them know why she wasn’t there. I arranged to borrow a carseat for Glenda’s trip home with her new baby. But that will be for another day.


Anonymous LR said...

What an exciting morning you had! I'm sure Glenda was glad to see you and your intrepid husband. We await further news and hope Glenda won't have too long a delivery.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm sure Glenda appreciated the support, the ride, the everything.

4:39 PM  
Anonymous suicide_blond said...

please do keep us posted..we are all wishing her well..

4:40 PM  
Blogger Jamy said...

She's lucky to have you!

I don't have time to look into it, but a lot of places have free carseats for all new moms (maybe just low-income? or everyone?). I have a friend who got one that way. I'm sure Glenda's family could use a carseat if you can find it for them!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

can't wait for the next post! glad you were there to help.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You were in high gear today and good thing you were home and your husband could drive. All the best wishes to her.

5:23 PM  
Blogger KC said...

Just imagine if you had never taken that first step and gotten to know this very sweet your mother. She had someone to call and you both took good care of her --- delivering her to safety and medical care. Can you imagine her fear if she had nowhere to turn.

5:32 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Everyone -- Thanks for your love and support. I just spoke to Glenda who has still not had the baby, but they tell her 3-4 hours more. I think she had an epidural which she said greatly relieved the labor pains. Keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer that this little girl emerges healthy and ready to start her life as a US citizen.

Jamy -- I will ask the hospital about the possibility of a free carseat.

10:38 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Well now THAT is Good News!

Can't wait to hear how everyone is doing- and of course for photos.

8:21 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

You and David were superheroes. Bravo!!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gewels -- Photos of course!

Reya -- We may both be remembering our experience almost exactly 27 years ago when we sped off to the hospital (WHC) to wait for the arrival of our first. It was scary even when there were two of us to go through it. But at least we could speak the language.

8:35 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home