Thursday, January 10, 2008

My New-Found Fame

I now understand why there are no mirrors in our yoga studio. It’s somewhat mortifying to see what you look like in those yoga poses.

I was interviewed for the current feature article in the Hill Rag “How Yoga Changes People’s Lives”. My yoga studio had asked permission to submit my name as a potential contributor. I had a 10-minute chat on the phone with the author. At the end she indicated that “Andrew” would be contacting me to arrange for a photo shoot.

It turns out Andrew is the Jack-of-all-trades at the Hill Rag, having helped grow this neighborhood paper from 2 pages in the mid-70's to its current 180-page spread. Andrew called and arranged to meet me at the yoga studio one day.

I came in prepared to offer up a warrior pose or a tree pose, thinking I could probably hold either of those long enough for him to get a picture. But no, he wanted something maybe on the floor. How about plank? I said, commenting that plank is one of the few poses that I can do fairly well while other people grimace.

We tried plank, but his camera made me look like I didn’t have any feet, like I could have just been scooting around on a cart with no legs.

So that’s how we arrived at Chair pose. It is definitely not my favorite pose, as the picture caption states, but at least I am smiling.



The article itself is basically what I told the author, with the exception of the part about “caught up in the frenzy of raising children.” That would have been why I didn’t have time for physical exercise or much of anything else for myself for 20+ years.

I feel honored that they included me in this article since the Hill is really my adopted neighborhood.

As I sink into chair pose in my yoga class tonight, or probably any time in the future, I will remember posing for Andrew and my moment of glory in the Hill Rag.

5 Comments:

Blogger GEWELS said...

Not bad, not bad at all....but I still think you would have looked absolutely willowy in tree pose.

I commend you for being able to wear shorts. It was always yoga pants for me- God forbid anybody see MY thighs.

12:42 PM  
Blogger riseoutofme said...

Oh I have a lot of catching up to do!

You look great in the pose! I'm sure you will inspire others to take up yoga and thats a very good thing!

6:30 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

You look fabulously fit! Yoga becomes her!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- Don't be fooled, but thanks for the compliment!

11:41 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You are precious! I'm thinking about taking up yoga when I move...

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home