Sunday, May 18, 2008

Rainy Rome

Does it seem fair that it’s going to be raining the entire time we are in Rome (70% chance)? It may be nice one day next week – the day we travel by train to Venice. And then more rain. Would it be better not to know? Unfortunately the weather prediction these days is fairly reliable.

As I considered what to pack all week I have been trading out sunny-weather clothes for clothes that will feel good in the cool of damp. The bulky sweatshirt got traded for a lightweight long-sleeve sweater and a fleece vest. I added another pair of shoes in case my one and only pair of walking shoes gets soaked.

I have an umbrella and a rain poncho, which I was hoping never to use on the entire trip. Looks like they may be called into service sooner than later.

I’m reminding myself that it rained most days when we were recently in Germany also. I’m also remembering how much better I liked Hamburg than Berlin, possibly influenced by the better weather.

Thanks to the excellent comment from Mouse, I have bundled my clothes and they fit nicely into my little suitcase. However, with the extra pair of shoes and 3 fairly big books and my pair of walking sticks, there is not a lot of room to spare. The good news is that I have not yet unzipped the expansion, so hope springs eternal that everything will continue to fit for a month.

I did pack a duffle bag to use on the last leg home in case we buy some things. Make that “to carry all the wonderful things we will buy.” How can anyone think of going to Italy and not buying things? Besides, what better is there to do if it rains than shop?

Well, maybe eat pizza in Naples. We will definitely be checking out the Pizzeria Da Michele mentioned in Elizabeth Gilbert’s book Eat, Pray, Love. Even if you hated the book, you must admit the pizza sounds divine.

So, arrivederci or ciao if I know you well. I hope to report on our trip but since I will be bumming my husband’s little Apple and we will be on the lookout for free (or cheap) wi-fi, it will probably not be every day.

Dear God – Couldn’t you just let it rain at night when we are sleeping?

10 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Have a great trip! You've just reminded me that it rained almost the whole time I was in Rome several years ago. I'd completely forgotten that, remembering only how much I enjoyed it. I wish you the same, whether or not it rains, and blue skies for most of your trip.

7:19 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- For me most of the experience in Rome is just connecting with the streets and structures that have been there for millenia. Wet or dry they will be thrilling!

9:15 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Bon Voyage, may you have a safe and happy trip. I hope you find enjoyment even if it does rain. I look forward to reading about it upon your return. Best to you and David.

10:52 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

You're going to Rome and you want sympathy if the weather is no good? 'Fraid not.

4:09 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Can't wait for the pictures and descriptions. I'm so glad you travel and we get to come along this way! Bring a yellow umbrella!

6:37 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Everyone -- Thanks for the great send-off. You know you are all coming along virtually!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Three books? Why are you taking three books?

Sing "Pennies from Heaven" and enjoy the rain. Rain is good! And in Rome it will no doubt be divine.

Have fun!!

8:09 AM  
Blogger Colette Amelia said...

have a fun safe trip! enjoy!

With the rain there will be less chance of sunstroke or too much damaging UV rays.

6:55 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

Does it seem fair that Barbara gets to go to Rome and we have to stay here??!! (HA! HA!)
I'd just be happy to have a little warmer temps here in Ontario, Canada!!
Do enjoy. I know they'll be photos of all the food!!!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Ok, if you had a choice of a rainy, overcast Rome and a 100 degree Rome (which I swear it was the entire month I stayed there for a class), which would you prefer?

I know you are having the time of your life, so I am not at all worried that it will rain.

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home