Friday, May 16, 2008

An Oldie but Goody

Our 1985 Volvo wagon is still running strong after many years of abuse by various teenage drivers and long periods of neglect. In fact we will soon be down to 2 cars once again, a 2005 Prius and this old car.

We bought the old Volvo in 1996 when our son first got his driver’s license. We wanted a car that was sturdy but didn’t go too fast. It had 100,000 miles on it when it was turned into Don Beyer by an elderly couple, the original owners.

We had a standing response to the many parking lot incidents my son seemed to have. It was a can of gray Rustoleum that never matched the color of the car too well.

Our daughter had a little mishap on Dupont Circle which resulted in the front right light hanging out like a vacant eyeball. Our able mechanic stuffed it back in and made it serviceable at a minimal cost.

The wipers are rusted but still work just fine.

The trim on the right side is held on with duct tape.

The rear hatch was stuck shut until yesterday when our mechanic managed to unstick it and lubricate it, showing me what to do if it happens again.

Miraculously the automatic door locks, the A/C, and the radio/CD player (not 1985 vintage) all still work just fine.

The beauty of this car is there is not too much under the hood to go wrong. There is no computerization of anything. It sailed through an emissions inspection yesterday, much to the surprise of the mechanic.

Until yesterday we had planned to sell this car keeping the newer 1997 Volvo. But that car has been problematic from the get-go. It gasped a dying breath in front of the house yesterday, so it will be the one leaving us instead.

Meanwhile, while we are in Italy the old Volvo wagon will be going on a mission of mercy to help our friend who is finally coming home after a serious accident in Germany in March. Since she will not be able to get in and out of their truck, they will have our Volvo until mid-summer.

I love my (almost) vintage Volvo, which is no longer even listed in the Blue Book!

8 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

It seems like a part of the family, and a helpful one at that.

1:24 PM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

every inch of this car seems to have a story. there is much to be said about an old workhorse of a car! they have character and as kristen said is part of the family.

how many miles are on it now? has it gone over the 200,000 mark?

my beloved vw died two years ago april just shy of 200,000 - that was my last car. although I miss that car, I loved it, I'm happily carfree. it was a 1994 - not nearly as old as your volvo....but well driven - and all the miles were put on by me or f. I've heard of volvos breaking all sorts of mileage records!

my you car have many many more years of service!

1:33 PM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

whoops meant:
may your car.... not my you car...haste makes waste of letters!!

1:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I think the only time this car left anyone stranded was when my son ran out of gas.

Mouse -- It has a mere 157,000 miles on it. Not a lot for a 23-year-old car. I think the engine will probably outlast the body. But there's something to be said for not caring if a new dent is added!

2:33 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Can you say "Pimp My Ride"?

4:58 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- OK, you know I don't watch TV! I had to wiki that phrase to even have a clue as to what it meant. You're suggesting a makeover for my old Volvo? :) Not such a bad idea!

6:37 AM  
Blogger KC said...

I love the political bumper stickers, Tufts sticker and Sport and Health parking permits. It's like a family scrapbook!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

KC -- I even love Nicola Pizza which reminds me of my daughter's first beach week. Yeah, I like the idea of a family scrapbook.

As I attempted to clean it up a little before turning it over to my friend Doug, it was like going through an archaeological dig as I turned up at least 25 CD's, miscellaneous coins, and other such memorabilia under the seats and in crevasses. No jewels or anything of real value...

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home