Wednesday, May 07, 2008

When the Cat's Away


I drive the Prius and Jake sleeps on the bed. We dearly miss our head of household, but do enjoy these privileges while he’s away.

I normally have the choice between an ‘85 Volvo wagon with the trim held on by duct tape and a ‘97 Volvo sedan in which the AC doesn’t work. As the weather warms up, that’s becoming a tougher choice. Even though the Prius is almost 3 years old, it seems so new and completely functioning in comparison.

Jake loves the fact that he is welcome to share the bed with me. Sometime during the night he always finds his way back to the section of carpeting in front of the closet door where he normally sleeps, but the choice is his.

As I took out the trash for today’s pick-up, I fondly remembered the person who normally does it and wished him a good trip. I’ll take him over the Prius any day and I’m sure Jake has similar thoughts about sharing his bed.


(Jake photo courtesy of Kimy)

8 Comments:

Blogger Steve Reed said...

Funny how Jake sticks to his old habit (sleeping in front of the closet door), even when he doesn't have to. There's comfort in routine, eh? :)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Yeah, we're all creatures of habit. I find it disconcerting to sleep on the other side of the bed where the alarm clock is located. Routine is actually much easier!

12:28 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

OH, I switch sides when I go from house to weekend house and it is annoying to wake up and try to remember when I am! I had alot of that weekday widowness when Mr. R. would spend the week down South and come back on the weekends. The house was quiet, no one knew what time I went to work or what time I came home, what I ate or... any of those things, but it was goshdarn lonely alot of the time. I'm glad that Jake seems to be taking up the slack in the affection arena!

9:38 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- Yes, switching sides has its confusion. I almost fell out of bed rolling over last night. Even Jake would probably be amused if that happened.

10:11 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

i think i'd move the alarm clock
;op

3:31 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lettuce -- Better yet, I think I'll unplug it!

10:09 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

definitely unplug the alarm clock!

hope you and jake have fun while the cat's away... I always enjoy having the house to myself and get wrapped up in all sorts of house projects at night that I'd never do when f is around which often has me staying up very late and making a complete mess of things before I make order of things (which of course is always the point of these house projects)

I have a couple MORE pictures of jake (that are wonderful) - kids, animals, and flowers some of my favorite subjects.

I'll put the other jake picss on flickr and let you know....perhaps jake can start a blog (a la ched and dennis)

1:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse -- Jake is basking in all this attention! A Jake Blog, now that's a thought. It would definitely be Kong-centric though.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home