Sunday, May 11, 2008

An Eye on the Enemy

The two Jakes are well aware of each other as they stare across the DMZ formed by our deck. Reya’s Jake (#1) is here so as to avoid the hundreds of people tromping through his house on the Capitol Hill House Tour today. My Jake (#2) is not quite sure who this stranger with his name is. But we are taking great pains to keep these two Jakes apart as experience says they must be.

Jake #1 came last night for the first phase of the House Tour. We set up a nice area with his towels just off the deck. He was content to lie there all evening without complaints as we drank wine and ate dinner on the deck.

Meanwhile Jake #2 took up his place inside the house, eventually turning his backside to the door in a sort of “Kiss my ass” statement.

This morning at 8:30 Jake #1 arrived once again with his head hanging out the car window, looking enthused about spending the day in my back yard. He was not quite so enthused as Reya drove off, but quickly sought out his familiar towels and hunkered down for the day.

It’s unseasonably cold today, so I just gave him another towel which looks like a coat of many colors. I also gave him one of his geriatric dog biscuits with glucosamine in it.

The Jakes occasionally let out a bark to announce their presence. But mostly they just stare across the DMZ wondering who that other dog could possibly be.

Jake #1 will experience the freedom of spending the day outdoors. Jake #2 will enjoy getting to be walked today. Sort of a role reversal for the two Jakes who will only know each other from afar.


13 Comments:

Blogger Aileen said...

Always being the diplomat, I find myself feeling disappointed that the two just can't get along!

I guess it just shows us another way that we are similar to our animal friends!

1:34 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

You know I have a soft spot for your doggie posts. Those pictures are priceless! I love the towel draped over Jake #1. He looks like he just emerged from the resort swimming pool. Just get him some sunglasses, flip-flops and a pina colada!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I was thinking about the Capitol Hill house tour this morning as I was preparing my coffee. It was an annual trek for me with Hill friends each year. I always loved it! I am sure Sandy was out there, although she always preferred Saturday night. How nice that Reya's house was on the tour this year. Happy Mother's Day, Barbara!

3:43 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Aileen -- Truthfully Jake #1 seems as docile as a lamb, but after the description of his last dog fight, we weren't willing to take a chance.

Things got a little complicated when it started to rain this afternoon. We moved the DMZ inside using the gate that separates the dining room from the kitchen. Jake #1 is curled up on his towels in front of the fireplace. Jake #2 is upstairs with me. You'd never know there were 2 dogs in this house!

MC -- Jake #1 does look like he would be sporting a tiny Speedo, yes? He is all muscle without an ounce of fat on him. Contrary to Jake #2 who has a penchant for being a tad overweight in a sort of roly-poly way.

Kate -- If Reya's house is any example, the house tour is a wonderful chance to see the elegance behind those Capitol Hill doors. Happy Mother's Day to you, too!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

OMG! That pic of jake is fantastic! It's so weird to see him on another blog. Wow.

Jake began barking obnoxiously as soon as he landed back in his own space. though outwardly calm, my poor spooky crazy dog was scared to death all day, wondering what was going to happen next.

He's knackered, sleeping hard tonight.

Thank you again!

9:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

David -- Jake #2 is not a dog who holds back his feelings. It's all out there in your face, like it or not.

Welcome to my Blog. Looks like you are a veteran Blogger with some interesting insights on photography.

Reya -- Your Jake was the model citizen today. He probably will sleep well tonight after all that fresh air.

9:57 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I've never thought about the logistics of the Capitol Hill house tour - thinking about what stays out and what goes away, including the dog. It sounds like both Jakes survived the day.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

Oh, they are so cute. I love dogs so much. I should really put up a pic of my Saint Bernard (at least on my sidebar). I brought my other Saint to visit preschool about seven years ago and he was bigger than the tables, chairs and toilets. Such a great puppy (not really a puppy but my baby just the same).

It has been cold/rainy here as well. Tell Jake I say hello. :)

12:24 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Both Jakes did survive quite well. They even touched noses through the gate with no ill effects!

Gary -- I would love to see pics of your big puppy. I'm sure s/he's adorable!

I'm a dog person too, never quite understanding cats!

2:46 PM  
Blogger dennis said...

Dennis thinks they would just frolic together if you let them--it might look like bitey and fitey to you, but they'd be having so much fun!

9:27 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Dennis -- You seem so wise, for a cat that is. Part of me thinks you might be right. Maybe we will introduce them on leashes the next time so we can quickly pull them apart if the fur flies. It would seem fitting that two canines with the same name should be able to frolic together!

10:01 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

it is sad they can't be together. dogs are by nature pack animals, but maybe it's hard for two alpha dogs to get along.

dixie comes over a lot and she and olivia, lin's dogs are the bestest of buds...but they are both used to being with other dogs since puppy hood.

both jakes are very handsome! it's nice that you could help put jake#1 up while his home was being invaded

p.s. I think dennis is on to something sometimes dixie and olivia sound very fierce when they are at play, but they are at play and not fighting....just a dog thing

12:19 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse -- I really think the Jakes might be fine together. There was never a growl or hair raised on either dog's back. Next time...

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home