Friday, May 09, 2008

Eek! in the Present Moment

We were just 6 people sitting mindfully on cushions on Wednesday night. Or was there someone else?

Partway through the sit I thought I heard “Oh my God.” But then sometimes my ears play tricks on me and I let it go along with the list making and the other random thoughts that were bombarding my mind.

At the very end of our meditation time together, Sharon said, “Did anyone else see the mouse? Something with a small body and a long tail ran right in front of my cushion and when I exclaimed OMG went back into the kitchen.”

So it hadn’t been my imagination after all. What a tribute to this group that there were only 3 words in response to this unexpected visitor. I think I will continue to keep my eyes closed in the future because I might be tempted to scream not so mindfully.

13 Comments:

Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

perhaps the mouse was in need of a little meditation.

mindful mouse....om

9:40 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'd keep my eyes closed, too. I'm OK with the idea of mice as long as I don't have to see them. Or think about them. Or hear them, really.

Maybe I'm not OK with the idea of mice.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse -- Seems odd to be talking to you about a mouse! It was most polite of our visitor to put off his nightly foray until the candle was extinguished and we were long gone.

Kristin -- I'm not enamored with mice, needless to say.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Aileen said...

This is reminding me of the mouse/rat conversation we had with Kimy at your house last week!

Ugh! :)

7:52 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

you'd think it would be the mouse that screamed on seeing people!

9:02 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Aileen -- I missed out on the history of "Mouse Medicine", so I will have to check with Kimy!

Pauline -- The interesting thing was our reading that night had to do with Pema Chodron's admonishment "If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill the Buddha." Here's the complete reading. Maybe the mouse sensed the approaching word "kill" and decided not to take a chance!

9:13 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

They are kinda cute when they're not getting into food and cupboards and your bed! We have them up at the log cabins we go to in the summer and we have to set traps at night! One ran across my sister's head last year and she let out a huge scream in the night!

10:04 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MOI -- I would be screaming too if a mouse ran across my face!

10:23 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

Mindfulness is not always calm. Screaming is an "in the present moment" kind of response to a mouse. At least it would be for me!

E E E K !!

8:43 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

A little Kimy left behind?

NYC public schools also have some of these visitors once in a while. Perhaps mice are simply on the path to enlightenment (educations, meditation)...or perhaps not. :)

10:28 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Reya -- Exactly!

Gary -- Hmm... A Kimy souvenir? Something to ponder...

11:21 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

eeek! i keep seeing a little tail whisking itself behind our defunct dishwasher...

11:45 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lettuce -- I think they must delight in teasing us as they appear and suddenly duck back in/behind something.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home