Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Seven Years Later

I hadn’t been to New York since 9/11. I wasn’t prepared for my reaction to the emptiness where the Twin Towers used to rise hundreds of feet into the air.

There was no visible sign of what had happened 7 years ago next week -- no twisted metal, no pile of broken concrete, no blackened remains, no ash.

Instead there was just a large construction site with a promised completion date of 2012, a museum, and a vantage point for those of us who had come to pay tribute.

We watched as vibrant life teamed all around the disaster site. The bright green trees of nearby parks didn’t reveal the horror they had witnessed.

But there was the strange sensation of thousands of souls which had been prematurely suspended on that fateful day in September as the world watched in utter helplessness.

5 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

Have you read the book, The End of Faith by Sam Harris?

6:16 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Pauline -- No, I haven't read that book, but I'll check it out. Thanks!

7:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- Let's hope some of what we've lost can be restored once again. That's a pretty daunting list.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I'm glad you made it down to Ground Zero. I've walked past it a million times, and it still hasn't stopped giving me that somber feeling.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I can feel what you said about the eerie souls in the last paragraph and how it is so sharply contrasted to the liveliness all around. It will likely always seem that way.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home