Sunday, August 31, 2008

What Happened to Family Values?


I don’t make a habit of stealing other Bloggers’ material, but Avocado-in-Paradise cited this in a recent post and it is just far too important not to pass on.

Everyone is lauding McCain’s military record and remembering that he was a POW, but no one seems to be recalling that he had a wife at that time, who was trying desperately to survive a near-fatal automobile accident. By the time he came home from Vietnam, she no longer looked like the beauty he had married. So he found another very wealthy beauty 18 years younger and divorced his first wife Carol. I’m somewhat incredulous that Carol still supports him in his campaign after being dumped.

I find it hard to believe that a party which has run on “family values” for as long as I can remember is embracing this man who treated his wife so callously.

Maybe that was part of the motivation for picking Sarah Palin as his running mate. She is so loyal to her family that she even tried to get her sister’s ex-husband fired from his job as an Alaska State Trooper. Now there’s family values in action.

McCain’s choice took most everyone by total surprise. At dinner on Friday night, my friend wondered whether Palin was his choice because no one else would accept. She seems to be short on just about any type of experience a potential President would need, making up for it with her ability to change diapers, which I don’t think is going to impress too many world leaders.

The evangelicals are apparently flocking to the GOP ticket now that they have an advocate. Let’s hope that no Hillary supporter is dumb enough to jump ship and vote for McCain just because he now has a woman as his running mate.

Let the facts speak for themselves about the character of our nominees. So far the Obama-Biden ticket seems to be way out front. Let’s just hope it prevails!

9 Comments:

Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

thanks for this post....I've been on one continuous internal rant since I hear mcnasty was going to announce his vp choice the day after the glorious dem convention....the guy is so transparent it's shocking....and speaking of shocking, you don't even want to get me started on a rant about the "miss congeniality"....

I have friday's bill mahr taped and can't wait to find an hour to watch it....I bet it is priceless

make sure you check out the huffington post if you haven't already.

have fun in nyc...maybe I'll chat with you if you're back in va when I'm down....going down to hang (and hopefully help) with the folks....

3:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse -- Would love to see you and catch up on things when you're in town. Give me a call and maybe we can share a cuppa together. I'm sure the folks could spare you for a few minutes.

Meanwhile it's going to be an interesting campaign over the coming weeks.

3:41 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Each day I think of another reason why Palin was an awful pick. Today's reason is a political one: if McCain has to shore up his base at this point to get them to come out and vote (the background regarding the pressure put on him by Rove and the Republicans to pick someone anti-choice is well-publicized), he's in big trouble.

3:52 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- I want him to be in big trouble. Awful depends on one's perspective. From Obama's position, I think there could have been far more threatening choices.

But you can continue to think of reasons why she was an awful pick! :)

4:04 PM  
Blogger A Concerned Citizen said...

I want McCain to be in big trouble, too. I personally think that his VP pick is even further evidence that he's totally insane.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Adrianne -- Here's an official welcome! I added you to my link list. Hope that's OK.

I hope the majority of Americans can see this election the way we do.

4:22 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

I meant "awful" for McCain. When a Republican friend told me he loves Palin, and asked me what I thought of her, I told him, "I'm very happy with the pick."

5:19 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- Exactly. Sometimes AWFUL has such a nice ring to it, yes?

5:41 PM  
Blogger bozoette said...

It's interesting about the evangelicals, though -- many of the hard core "bible believing" fundies are appalled, because Palin is not practicing "biblical womanhood" in that she is not staying at home and raising/schooling the five children. From some of the blogs I've lurked on, these folks are not voting rather than vote for McSame, because "the lesser of two evils is still evil." Yow!

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home