Tuesday, November 11, 2008

One Step at a Time


I continue to look for answers to the weird way I walk, being thankful that I have always been able to get around unassisted, albeit somewhat slowly and with a cumbersome gait.

My latest consultations have been with a wonderful podiatrist, a woman as determined as I am to explain this phenomenon that has been a part of my being since birth. She prescribed orthotics to help the fact that my right foot tends to collapse when unsupported. She’s not totally buying the CP diagnosis of several years ago because she says my legs are equally quite strong. My hamstrings are unbelievably tight, to the point where she is sending me to physical therapy. She is totally perplexed by the fact that I have excellent balance when standing on either foot. I watched as she scratched her head and said, “This just doesn’t make sense,” a phrase I have heard doctors of many different specializations say over the years.

The other purpose for PT is my total lack of proprioception – knowing where my body is in space. In addition, she suggested that I take walks using two walking sticks, which will give me the audible feedback of where I am as they go click, click on the pavement. She asked that my PT guy, whom I’ve seen for several rounds over the past 5 years, give her a call so she can discuss the specifics of what she want him to accomplish.

Meanwhile I have exercise homework to be done every day. She is determined to see a difference.

When a physiatrist suggested possible CP in utero several years ago, he added that I could confirm this diagnosis by an MRI of my brain. At the time, it didn’t seem to warrant the expense. But I was recently reminded by my friend KC’s daughter, who is a physiatrist in Chicago, that my MRI done this past July when I was having headaches could be read again to confirm or deny the CP. The podiatrist thinks this is a good thing to do so we know the possible limits of strengthening. This morning I will be picking up the MRI results on a CD. On Thursday AM, I have an appointment with the physiatrist to take a look.

So once again it would seem that I’m cobbling together a set of people dedicated to coming up with a definitive diagnosis and treatment.

11 Comments:

Blogger Cyndy said...

Good luck with your foot explorations. Orthotics can sometimes make a huge difference. I'm about to find out why my foot hasn't perfectly healed yet. It's really annoying to not be able to hike or walk great distances.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Cyndy -- Mobility is definitely not something to take for granted. I think we all want to continue to be able to get around on our own. Long walks and hiking are nice too. Good luck to you with figuring out what's happening with your foot.

10:18 AM  
Blogger e said...

It sounds like you've got better docs than most people I know. Over the years, I've found it difficult to get good care as an adult with CP simply because most docs are insufficiently trained in that arena and don't seem to see many of that population in their practices. It seems that once we hit eighteen, we age out of all the services available and then fall through cracks, medically speaking.

The information now available on adults with CP, particularly with regard to secondary conditions related to premature aging, and there are many that contribute to loss of mobility and other functions, has only come to light in the last twenty years or so, and more research of this diverse population is needed.

Any doctor who takes an interest should be encouraged as there are people like me who can't always find what they need in terms of consistent care.

It will be interesting to see what your MRI confirms!

11:03 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- I now have the CD and a written report. I'm anxious to find out what it shows.

And yes, I do have excellent caring doctors who take my quest seriously.

12:15 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Proprioception! Man, I gotta get me some o' dat!
Not knowing where I am in space! you know i have spent a lot of money over the years trying to get there!
'
Hahahehehaha! I'm just tryin' to be funny, Barb, and I sincerely hope that no ill befalls you and that your health will continually be a blessing.

Aw man...how's your teeth? My word verification ting says "dentis"

4:10 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bulletholes -- Yeah, proprioception was a new word for me too. As for my teeth, they are OK for the moment with 4 crowns and almost as many root canals and more fillings than I can count.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

It's amazing what they can put on a cd these days!

My dad carried a DVD of his heart scope when he went up to SF for his bypass surgery. They showed it to us at the first hospital, pretty amazing!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kellyann -- I haven't dared try to look at it. I hope my physiatrist knows what he's looking at!

8:10 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Interesting! Keep us posted, of course! Could it be as simple as orthotics? That would be wonderful.

10:35 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- Although I am positive the orthotics help a lot, they are only a piece. I had a very interesting PT session today. I have a great group of healers! Will keep you posted on any progress.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It sounds like you're on the right path. Good luck with everything.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home