Sunday, November 09, 2008

Make a Joyful Noise and BYOG


As part of the Tents of Hope weekend on the Mall, we went to a concert last night in a Lutheran Church on Capitol Hill. Having had some very good wine at Sonoma for dinner, I confess to sleeping through the first two acts, but when Sarah Lee Guthrie came on, I woke up.

She is the daughter of Arlo and the granddaughter of Woody Guthrie. The same beautiful protest music is obviously in her genes. She performs with her husband Johnny Irion and their sound is a perfect blend.

She said Arlo and Pete (Seeger) always said not to over-rehearse. She and Johnny have taken it to a new extreme, not rehearsing at all on songs like the one they put together on stage yesterday. It included these lyrics:

Hey, ho, this genocide has got to go.
All we are saying is give peace a chance.

By the end of the song, the entire audience was singing Peace, Peace, Peace.

She told a story about how Arlo had recently purchased the church adjacent to Alice’s Restaurant, where that famed Thanksgiving meal was served. Someone stopping by asked Arlo just what kind of a church it was going to be. He replied, “A bring your own God church.” What a great answer. Isn’t that what each of us does anyway?

It was somewhat refreshing to be in a concert where cameras and recording devices were not banned. People of all ages and all races were singing, dancing, and snapping pictures. It was an affirming evening that overlaid the artwork of the tents with music calling for the end of violence and the return of peace to Darfur.

8 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

That`s sounds like a real nice happening! I would have enjoyed being there, I know. I liked the film Alice`s restauarant and the music of Woody and Pete Seeger (being of that generation) and Bob Dylan, and I also like the answer of Arlo. Great post, thank you for having invited me!
Ha, the word is fiest, wrong spelling, but fitting word!

9:00 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Angela -- Music like this makes you want to clap and tap your feet. It feels good when the whole audience is part of it.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Oh, wow. I wish I had been there; it sounds like a great night.

9:19 AM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

Oh I do wish I lived in a more ethnically diverse community that had such fun and interesting events to attend - not that i have much time or money to afford ....

but an interesting coincidence - I just wrapped up teaching Fahrenheit 451 to my students. In a rather frustrating attempt to elucidate the connections between a novel written in 1953 to their today (13 to 14 year olds...) - I asked them the question: "Do you think mankind learns from his mistakes." A resounding yes reverberated back. I then began explaining Rhwanda and then went on the state today's statistics regarding Darfur.

There was a blank on their faces. They had no idea ... no clue. Realities such as these do not penetrate the bubble they live in ... it saddened me. But I, also, am to blame - keeping my children going: homework, activities, fed - leaves me little time to share the realities of the world around us.

Lovely post.

And regarding the post below: there are a few broken friendships I would like to mend as well .... but sometimes letting go is the lesson I have had to painfully learn.

xxx
rdm

11:10 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

Arlo Guthrie lives right down the road from me (well, in a country manner of speaking. It's a 20 minute drive.) He often performs locally and is a familiar sight around town. I remember driving by the church he owns, seeing him at the door, and on impulse leaning out the window to holler "Hey Arlo!" He waved and hollered "Hey!" back, like we were two old friends in passing. I bought his book, Moose Comes Walking, for my grandson.

1:53 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

sounds like a great concert.

I pray for peace in the middle east, now I remember that I need to pray for peace in Africa as well.

I am dragging Dr. R. kicking and muttering to a concert tonight. Jake Shimabukuro (one of the best young ukulele players) is performing at the Palace of Fine Arts. I know he will have a good time when he gets there... this one of the few things we disagree about, Dr. R. hates opera and only mildly tolerates Hawaiian music (my two favs).

4:00 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- Thanks for your volunteer work to help set up the tents on Friday. It was simply amazing to see them all today.

RDM -- I'm working hard on learning to let go. It's not easy for me.

As for kids learning about what's really going on in the world, maybe your class should read Ismael Beah's book A Long Way Gone about the boy soldiers of Sierra Leone.

Pauline -- One more reason I must pay you a visit. Maybe we could go to services at the Bring Your Own God Church!

Kellyann -- My husband and I also have divergent tastes in music, but we tolerate each other's favorites from time to time. I hope Mr. R has a good evening!

4:15 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love Arlo's answer too. It is absolute;y what each of us does in any church, even our own.
I can't really remember Alice's Restaurant, but I know the song. Maybe I can still rent it?

Pauline: How neat to have him live so near you! I'd love to go to that church!

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home