Monday, November 10, 2008

A Weekend of Hope

This past weekend marked the culmination of the Tents of Hope project, with the gathering on the Mall of over 300 tents from around the country. After the weekend festivities, the tents will be sent to Africa where they will be used as classrooms from refugee children from Darfur.


Sunday morning as we attended an interfaith service at the 6th & I Street Synagogue, I was taken by the following poem from Emithal Mahmoud, a 14-year-old girl, a refugee from Darfur now living in Philadelphia:

War in Darfur

The merciless soldier,
With a heart that’s a boulder,
Driven by money, blinded by fear,
Desperate cries for help, he’ll never hear.
Roaming the streets with a charred black soul,
No one is safe, not woman, not man, not young, and not old.
Knowledge is forcibly pushed aside,
Because power has now taken the stride.
What was once a sanctuary, a haven for all,
Is now no haven, but a place where innocent lives did fall.
What’s going on is a senseless, cold hearted war;
Bad against good, strong against weak, all in Darfur.
Possessions are gone, everything is wrong.
People aren’t happy, they’re homeless and hungry,
Worst of all is that no one is free.
Families are shattered in this big bloody battle.
Good people lose jobs
And are replaced by slobs.
No female is safe,
Because she is a subject to rape.
People are murdered throughout the nation,
Because of this mostly orphans make up the population.
There is no respect and there is no pride,
The only thing there is, is GENOCIDE.
I believe it’s time to put this to an end,
For there are lives to defend.
Take action, or sit in grief?
If you still don’t know which side to choose,
Ask yourself one question, “What did the children do?”

9 Comments:

Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

I'm so glad you posted photos of the tents. I had thought of coming down, but since I had a free ride a couple weeks ago took advantage of that so missed the tent project.

looks like there was nice weather for the event which I hope means there was good turnout!

thanks for the post and allowing us to attend even though we couldn't get there!

9:51 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Mouse -- It was indeed a perfect weekend for the tents to be displayed on the Mall. I wondered if perhaps your plans had changed. Please let me know the next time your find yourself visiting your family. I can't wait to show you my scarf!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

love the artwork on the tents!!!!

Thanks for posting the photos, Barbara

12:59 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

I'd like to see an Aerial view of 300 tents so brightly colored!
it'd be like an Army of...
Teletubbies!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

What a great event and the tents were all so unique and so inspiring. You did good, Barbara.

2:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kellyann -- The artwork was really wonderful because no two tents were alike.

Bulletholes -- I wish someone could have filmed the Mall from a helicopter. It would have looked like a tent city!

Kristin -- I was proud to be a part of this event, as I'm sure you were too!

2:49 PM  
Blogger e said...

Wow. The tents are gorgeous and the poetry makes me want to cry. What a great project!

PS: I'm just in the door at 7:25 PM. A Long day for me. I hope you didn't think I was short earlier, but I did have to go. Your pictures are wonderful. You have a smile that matches your heart!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

E -- No, I didn't think you were short. You were at work, a place I can't claim to be any longer. I decided to just let the topic of our e-mail float out to the universe with no further retort on my part!

Who isn't smiling when in Provence? Glad you liked the pics.

7:38 PM  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

A very cool project and I was moved by the poem as well. Maybe teachers like RDG could present this poem and more like it to their kids so they can relate better as it's written by someone their own age. This student should go visit other schools to share some first hand experience. Maybe it would put things in perspective so our kids won't think it's a disaster when daddy doesn't pay their cell phone bill on time!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home