Monday, December 22, 2008

Fa-la-la with a Dreidel


The holidays are upon us once again, but I feel more like a guest than an initiator. I seem to be making no effort, but rather celebrating only upon invitation.

On Saturday night we went to a Christmas sing-along at the home of someone with whom I had meditated for several years. He’s now married and has a young child, so he no longer makes his way to the early morning sits on Capitol Hill. He’s a real musician through and through. He played carol after carol on his beautiful Kawai shiny black grand piano and we sang with gusto. I love all those songs about snowflakes and Santa and silver bells and logs on a fire. They are my first memories of Christmas and I still remember all the words.

Yesterday as I left my friend Deborah’s after playing music all morning, she gave me a bag of Hanukkah gifts – homemade granola and rum balls. She couldn’t have found anything I would like better.

Yesterday afternoon we went to a traditional Christmas cookie party. It was a great chance to see neighbors we seldom connect with and this year there were more and more of the youngest generation. I tried not to hang out near the table laden with cookies, knowing full well how many pounds of butter and sugar went into their preparation. But the killer cookie was a peanut butter ball wrapped in dark chocolate.

Last night we were invited to a Hanukkah dinner to celebrate the first of the eight nights. We lit menorahs and sang the Hanukkah blessings. The hostess served three kinds of latkes and terrific homemade applesauce.

I received one on-line Christmas card and one beautiful Hanukkah card from an old friend.

I seem uncharacteristically un-proactive this holiday season. I’m enjoying what’s put on my plate, but not doing much in return. The sum total of my holiday purchases to date are three poinsettias.

Maybe today I’ll haul out my card-making supplies and see if I can jump-start my holiday spirit, which currently seems to be stalled.

4 Comments:

Blogger bulletholes said...

i've been invited to a Christmas party. They want me to wear my hospital gown.

10:07 AM  
Blogger e said...

Bulletholes,

I hope it's not too cold down your way, if the hospital gown is all you'll be wearing. I'm glad you are up and around...Merry Christmas!

Barbara,

You do so much for others all year long, enjoy some down time! Happy Chanukah. Do you know where I can get frozen latkes? I tried making some and need to replace my frying pan!

10:29 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

E- wind chill 17 this AM.
I'm hoping to get a Raccoon Coat Hospital Gown. Warm, with a nice draft.
Feeling great, thanks!

11:24 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bulletholes -- I suppose you're watching those sugar cookies this year, with your new diagnosis? You'd better be good!

E -- Buy a new frying pan before you buy latkes. There's nothing better than homemade latkes. Although I'm fairly sure you could buy frozen ones at Trader Joe's.

Happy Hanukkah to you too!

2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home