Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ho-ho-ho!

Cutting, pasting, and glitter have such a therapeutic effect on me. They not only warded off yet another knock by the pesky bug that keeps stalking me, but they got me thinking about the season.

Today I’ll head out to have lunch with a wonderful vegan acquaintance at Heritage, a gourmet Indian restaurant in DC. We have a lot of catching up to do as we both go through some interesting shifts.

Then I’ll brave the crowds and venture into Costco, Trader Joe’s, and World Market in search of some last minute gifts for people who celebrate. Am I crazy to even drive into those parking lots?

So as another Christmas looms large, I think back to the days when I was so caught up in shopping that I seldom thought about why I was doing any of it. It’s no longer about any of that for me, but rather about simple things like making a few cards and sharing dinner with friends.

I love the feeling that Christmas is optional. It makes it so much more enjoyable!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbara, I love your stocking card! It's been 6-7 years since I made my own cards, and I look forward to doing it again next year.

All holidays are optional, in a way, aren't they? How wonderful that you have two traditions to draw on directly. I'm neither Christan, nor Jewish, nor pagan, nor Muslim, nor dot-dot-dot, but the winter holidays are deeply important to me. I think the turning of the season is something that transcends (and precedes) creed.

Wishing you a season of light! Now, I'm off to play some Christmas carols, then bake some cookies! :-)

-- F

11:38 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Too bad you don't live closer, or we could get together to make cards. Sort of like a quilting bee.

It's really all about the turning of the season. Various religions have just bestowed different names on it.

Hope the carols and the cookies were both enjoyable.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Love your cards, Miss Barbara, they are truely snazzy. I am making Christmas optional this year and only doing the things that I truly love. I have cookie dough chilling, I've answered some cards and...ok, I'll admit it, I've watched some good Christmassy movies (Lifetime seems to have lots of them on right now for some reason!).

I have two weeks off from both schools and I aim to enjoy each day to it's fullest (the best way I've found to ward off bugs!).

Tra la la la la... and Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Sweet Winter Solstice, Meaningful Kwanza... and all of the above!

11:00 PM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

I hope that pesky bug stays away!! so keep on glittering!!

holidays are optional but may the spirit of love and warm wishes infect you and yours!

xxx

9:48 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Happy Holidays, Barbara!

10:26 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kellyann -- Enjoy your time off!

Mouse -- Sequins and glitter have always had a powerful effect on me. They just feel MERRY!

Cyndy -- I'm so glad we discovered each other this year!

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home