Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Open Season for Parking Lot Anger


This morning when I rolled into the parking lot for my PT appointment in the pitch black, I was startled to hear the guy in the next vehicle over yelling at me as I got out of my car. HEY, WATCH OUT OPENING YOUR CAR DOOR!

I realized that I must have let my door make the slightest contact with the door of his truck or SUV or something that had the ruggedness of a Hummer.

Being somewhat incredulous, I responded with “Isn’t it a little early for all that anger?” I offered him a chance to get out and come around to see that I had done absolutely no damage to his vehicle. He replied that it was too dark to tell and he was probably right because it was exactly 6:40 a.m.

This was the first visit I had made to my PT guy in his new Bethesda (almost Rockville) office. I allowed extra time, not knowing what beltway traffic was like across that God-awful bridge at that time of the day. It turns out that it was a piece of cake getting there; it was the trip home that took an hour.

I mentioned the old curmudgeon to my PT guy who offered up his typical snarky wisdom and put my anger on a far back burner.

Midway through my PT session, who should appear at the next table over but THE OLD GUY! It turns out he had obviously arrived a full hour early for his appointment. I wondered if he recognized me as he rolled up his sleeve for therapy on his left arm. Probably not. It had been very dark when I arrived.

As I finished my therapy and walked past him, I was tempted to ask if he had checked his door when the sun came up, but decided to just let it go. Maybe his anger had been caused by some lingering pain from an injury.

I did notice when I went to get in my car that he had moved his truck to a different parking space. Perhaps he thought I might retaliate by actually banging the shit out of his door when I got into my car. But I had already relegated ours to what will become a growing set of parking lot encounters over the upcoming holiday season. It never fails to bring out the worst parking lot behavior in many people.

17 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

When I go shopping in Hamburg during Christmas season, I always take the subway. Is there a subway in Washington? That saves you a lot of anger. (And also I have the funniest encounters in subways).

10:30 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Angela -- Public transportation in the DC metro area leaves a lot to be desired. It would probably have taken me 3 hours with a combination of car, Metro, and buses to make the trip to Maryland this morning! Many times a car is the only way to go.

10:40 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

It probably wasn't the door ding. It probably wasn't you at all. Tensions are sure running high this time of year. If it were me, in either position, I'd be left with a bad taste in my mouth. I'm so glad I don't drive all that much!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I would like to be less reliant on my car...

11:25 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

A 94 year old vegan heart surgeon (who still does surgery) gave some sage advice--if you want to stay young and healthy all of your life, stay away from old crabby people or unhappy people who love to bitch and argue, they will have a bad influence on you. His advice was spot on! He seemed way way younger than his age too.

Parking is terrible everywhere it seems.
I love the subway in nyc and have ridden it since I was a baby. I've seen everything --every kind of scary confrontation, but 99% of the time I really enjoy the ride.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

I just realized you had quite a drive--you would need a car for that-- !?! I can't imagine the trip by public transport--it would be complex wouldn't it? Hope your PT is excellent.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Bravo for your restraint. Saying anything would only have made the situation more heated.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Squirrel -- I would love to be able to take the subway and have that time to knit or read. That's one of the great things about visiting New York City.

Steve -- I was rather proud of my restraint. Maybe my mindfulness training is paying off...

2:40 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Angry outbursts are rarely warranted or healthy, but I still have to sympathize with the car owner. I'm one who gets very upset when someone hits my car door with theirs. A lot of people have made large investments in their cars, want to keep them a long time, and drive and park them as carefully as they can. To have an absent-minded stranger come along and make a permanent ding or scratch in their car (I now have many of these) in a matter of seconds is more than maddening.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- I totally agree. I would have been both apologetic and sympathetic if indeed I had cause any damage to his car. But I can guarantee there was none. If anything, my door came into contact with a guard on the side of his car. I contend he was just a cranky old man looking for a fight.

5:07 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Barbara, you hit John McCain's car? No wonder why he was cranky. Although he has about 12 other cars ....

5:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- Gee, I don't think it was JM because he was actually sitting in the driver's seat! But, come to think of it, there was a strong resemblance... :)

6:13 PM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

Here's a little something from the news for you:


A man using a candy cane lawn ornament fended off a knife-wielding neighbor who had been attacking holiday guests at a Sacramento home. Police spokesman Sgt. Norm Leong said the man used the two-foot-tall plastic ornament to subdue the attacker until officers arrived.

7:28 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Squirrel -- 'Tis the season...

7:59 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Bulletholes -- I admit to taking a deep breath and swallowing my initial response! I just couldn't let his comment go without a reply of some sort.

12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you didn't know was, aside from the snarkiness, after you left, I offered to try a few "special" techniques on the truck guy. He'll have more to draw on in developing sympathy in the future... ;)

12:28 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

PT Guy -- Ha! I would believe you if I didn't know you better.

Maybe it was that old codger who managed to rob me of my parking karma, making sure that on my next visit I had a helluva time finding a place to park!

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home