Monday, January 26, 2009

RAK Revisited

Taking a break from my broken hip saga, here’s an update on how I ended up spending my RAK money this time.

For any of you who haven’t been reading for too long, here’s a little background on the neighborhood project we affectionately call RAK -- Random Acts of Kindness. We have a neighborhood group that gets together monthly with the intention of making the world a better place. At each meeting, every person throws $20 into a basket. The money is divided between two people at the end of the meeting, who will be charged with spending it in the following month. Meanwhile, those who spent during the past month report on what they did. There are very few rules imposed and as a result there have been a wide range of projects, ranging from buying specific items for specific needy families to randomly paying for gas to providing massage for those in eldercare.

January was my month to spend. I had been thinking all year long about what I would do and nothing had really clicked until I read in Angela’s Blog about the work being done by people like Val and Sharon and Karen in the southern countries of Africa. I determined that I wanted to support a day care center in Botswana, which is run solely on donations. Fellow Blogger E stepped up to add to my RAK money and we had a whopping $220 to donate.

The problem was how to get the money to the right people. Then I heard of Kristin’s trip to Africa and appealed to her to be my courier. She managed to talk her tour leader into making a couple of deviations that would allow her to visit the daycare center and see firsthand how what our money would be used for.

Kristin graciously agreed to make a guest appearance at our RAK meeting last night to talk about her experience. She described the Kamadine Daycare Center in Kazungula, Botswana, a place dedicated to help children with HIV or those orphaned by parents who had died of it. For much of the week, these children are provided life’s essentials in a happy, healthy setting, where they can feel safe and at home. Here’s a link to Karen’s Blog describing Kristin’s visit and showing you some great photos of the daycare center kids and their visitors.

I felt so good about supporting this worthy cause halfway around the world and am determined not to end with this single donation since there is a continuing need for help. This is definitely the furthest our RAK money has traveled in its efforts to improve the world.

I’m eternally grateful to Kristin for helping me pull this off and to Angela and those mighty women in Africa for caring for a continent that cries out for help.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please let me know if you need ANYTHING. Happy to do a grocery run or errand run for you. Life has started to settle down for me and am happy to help you and your hubby!

In fact, Could I bring dinner over one night so it is one less thing for him/you to worry about?

Let me know! :)

Hugs
Huck.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Huck -- Thanks for your offer. We're pretty well covered this week, but I'm sure we could use something the following week. Why don't you call me on 703-671-5769 and we can catch up? Hope to talk to you soon.

12:14 PM  
Blogger e said...

I am glad things are progressing and that you are getting help with things...Can you e-mail your address?

1:28 PM  
Blogger Waterbaby said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I'm back online, a different blog, unfortunately, but I will be putting up a link to my old one on the new one. I'm so sorry to hear about your hip, I'm glad your starting to heal. I think Africa was an awesome place to send the money, they will use it well.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

I read Karen's blog about the trip, and it has inspired me... and hopefully the school will receive my gift soon.
xx

4:17 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Thank you for opening my eyes to the school. The visit was really one of the highlights of my trip. Double thanks for letting me come and talk about it. I really want to tell the whole world about it. I'm not sure why I haven't...

5:54 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Liz -- I sent my address to you.

WaterBaby -- Welcome back to the Blogosphere. We've missed you!

Fire Byrd -- I'm so glad you're on board with helping out the school in Botswana! Too bad it's so expensive to mail things.

Kristin -- Thanks again for all your help and support.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

WOW.

I'm here with my mouth hanging open and at a loss for words. But I'll try...

This is so wonderful. With our busy lives it is so, so easy to forget about other people and how they struggle but you and the RAK group are making a difference. Amazing and inspiring. I can only hope to do more myself and take a lesson from all of you.

10:28 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Dear lovely Barbara. thanks so much again for all that. the cheque arrived safely via DHL from Val lst week,and I handed it over to Heidy as Sharon's on leave. She should be contacting you about it, as your little note with your email address was attached! I'm sorry i didn't get round to updating you on that, but it was all about inauguration fever and hospital dramas for you!

Your RAK is a wonderful thing, thanks for being such a lovely person :-) xxx

1:56 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

I totally agree with Karen! I am so glad everything went so well - first your listening to my story, then deciding to help, then e adding (thanks, e!)and Kristin making the detour on her trip, and Karen posting such a beautiful picture story of it, and Val also meeting Kristin, and the money arriving safely...everything! How entangled we all are, oh yes, and Fire Byrdie, you belong into this, too! And Lori, too, because she is already making Christmas presents for next year. Isn`t this a wonderful world?!! Barbara, but YOU were the one to start acting! There is a German saying: Es gibt nichts Gutes, außer man tut es.
Meaning: There is no good, except you do it.

3:49 AM  
Blogger Avid Reader said...

I agree with Gary.

8:39 AM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

your rak group is such an inspiration....what a fantastic investment this last act is!! thanks...and thanks for providing the link to karen's blog so we can learn more about kristen's experience and to SEE rak in action!

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home