Saturday, February 14, 2009

A (uh) 1, 2, 3, 4


There’s nothing like jazz to get your foot tapping. This afternoon we went to fellow-Blogger Cyndy’s masters recital at the U of MD. There was a lot of foot tapping going on.

The recital featured the works of Bob Field, a long-time friend and fellow musician of Cyndy’s who lived in Baltimore. Although he is deceased, his music lives on and fills a niche in the jazz world.

Cyndy was lucky to have 6 other musicians to play with her today as she showed us what a masters in jazz featuring a double bass was all about.

I love the fact that I arrived late and when I asked if I had to wait for a break in the music, the usher said, “It’s just a jazz set. Go on in.” No one missed a beat as I found a seat.

I’m always amazed at the individual musicians’ abilities to show off as it’s their turn to shine. Not ever having played jazz, I don’t by any means understand how that works, how the other musicians know when to join them again. But it seemed flawless today as they passed around the honors, recognizing that it was really Cyndy’s day to show her stuff. And she did quite well!

(Photo courtesy my husband's iPhone despite the no photography sign)

3 Comments:

Blogger Fire Byrd said...

For someone with a new hip you certainly get about.... what are going to be like when you're mobile???
x

8:39 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I get tired of staying home when there are so many good things to do out there!

9:30 AM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Wow thanks for the nice review Barbara! It was great seeing you there.

8:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home