Thursday, February 12, 2009

For the Love of Books and Kids



I struggled with whether or not to read at the shelter tonight. I had to deal with transportation issues, I wasn’t sure about steps and handrails at the shelter, I wondered whether the kids might be too wild. But I really wanted to be there.

I did my driving dry-run today just to prove I was ready. I am positive no one in the next lanes knew I had a brand new hip. I didn’t weave or tailgate or do anything obnoxious. Actually driving felt just fine. But I wasn’t sure I was ready to go solo just yet.

So when I brought up the idea of going to read, my husband and I compromised on his riding along and dropping me off and another volunteer bringing me home.

The children were most interested in my crutch. They all seemed to know where one’s hip is located. They asked me if I was a grandmother, I suppose since I was now walking like older people they might know.

The theme tonight was LOVE, in honor of Valentine’s Day. We read books about love of tools, and love of cats, and so many varieties of love. Despite the emphasis on love, at one point another volunteer had to step in between two kindergartners who were ready to kill each other. Diffusing volatile situations is a skill all volunteers at this shelter need to know.

After the reading, the children made valentines for those they loved. An obviously ADD little boy gave me his valentine. He was the one who had spent part of the reading time hiding behind furniture and making animal noises.

They had sugary heart cookies for a snack, claimed their give-away book, and the hour was over once again.

Although I stayed planted in the same chair all evening, I’m glad I made the effort to go. I really look forward to seeing those kids each month.

11 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I'm so glad you made it tonight and really, your progress is almost as amazing as the progress we're making with those kids. We've all come so far.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- You had planned such a great evening. The books, the activity, the snack, the kids were all very therapeutic. What better theme than LOVE?

11:22 PM  
Blogger Cheryl Cato said...

What a nice thing to do. Are the kids any particular ethnic variety? Maybe I can offer some titles for the little kids (although I'll have to put on my thinking cap because I've been away from it for a while).

11:50 PM  
Blogger dennis said...

Dennis thinks you're sweet.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

If you are looking for Cheap Kids Furniture , then metroloftfurniture is just the right destination for you.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Never underestimate the ones who seem not to be listening. They just hide, but they gain from your attention! I just love every minute I am with children. They all sense your emotions and grow in the sunlight which you cast!

5:06 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lizzy -- They are all African American. They range in age from 4 to 8. I would appreciate any suggestions!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

There is something very restful about reading aloud, children trying to murder each other not withstanding! I think it gives a foundation to the love of books.
Sounds like t gives both you and the children something back.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel happy for both your and the kids' sakes that you felt able to go. Hurray!

F.

7:53 PM  
Blogger mouse (aka kimy) said...

sounds like just the type of physical therapy that an injured hip could benefit from....

5:55 PM  
Blogger الوسام said...

شركة الوسام لخدمات التنظيف
المشي في المنزل وهو نظيف ومريح هو شعور رائع. ومنذ عشرات السنين أصبحت شركة تنظيف بالرياض الاسم الأكثر ثقة في خدمات تنظيف المنزل، فلقد صرنا الخيار الأول لكل من نحن يرغب في أن يعيش في بيئة نظيفة خالية من كل الملوثات والأوساخ دون أن يبذل أحدهم جهد أو يضيع ذرة من وقته لأن عومل الراحة والأمان أكثر مما يتوقعها الجميع، فنحن نتسم بالمرونة التي هي شرط اساسي للتعامل مع رغبات عملائنا في الرياض من أجل تحقيق طلباتهم ورغباتهم كما يريدون تمامًا ليحصلون على بيت نظيف على طريقتهم الخاصة وذلك لأننا نعتمد على طريقة تنظيف اجتازت اختبار الزمن وأثبتت فعاليتها في تحقيق رضا واستحسان العميل:
شركة تنظيف كنب بالرياض
شركة غسيل كنب بالرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف كنب بالرياض
نحن نعمل معكم من اجل خلق خطة التنظيف الخاصة جدا، ومن أجل متابعتها في كل مرة. فقبل أن ينضم إلى عائلة شركة تنظيف بالرياض عامل تنظيف جديد فإنه يتم تدريبه جيدًا على يد خبراء متخصصين في مجال التنظيف ليصبح خبيرا في خدمات التنظيف بشكل مفصل، ​​وأكثر ما نحرص عليه في عمال التنظيف الذين ندربهم من أجل اكتساب خبرات تنظيف متعددة هو أن يكونوا على خلق وحس واعي للتعامل بأمان وبأسلوب حسن مع عملائنا الكرام.
مع خدمات التنظيف التي نقدمها لك بإمكانك الحصول على تنظيف الشقة، يمكنك الحصول على فاتورة ضريبة حسب رغبتك لأننا شركة مؤثقة ولا داعي للقلق حول المسؤولية والضرائب أو الإلغاء، فريق عمل تنظيف الشقق سيصل دائما في شقتك أو الشقة التي تريد تنظيفها حسبما يتم تقرير موعد التنظيف الخاص بك وفقًا لمواعيدك المتوفرى مع خطة التنظيف الخاصة بك التي الفخر والتميز بمنزلك وأجوائه.
شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
شركة غسيل مجالس بالرياض
افضل شركة تنظيف مجالس بالرياض
خدمات التنظيف التي نتقنها جيدًا لمختلف المباني السكنية كالمنازل والشقق والفلل والقصور دائمًا يمكنك الحصول عليها للشقة أو المسكن الخاص بك بحيث يمكنك الاعتماد علينا لتنظيفه كل أسبوع، أسبوعيا، أو كل أسبوع وأسبوع، أو مرة واحدة في الشهر، اختار ما يناسبك فقط لتنظيف مسكنك كلما تريد.
ونعم، نحن جاهزون لتقديم أفضل خدمة تنظيف بأرخص سعر للمستأجرين الذين يريدون تنظيف عميق لمسكنهم الذي أستاجروه في نهاية عقد الإيجار الخاص بهم من أجل الحصول على مبلغ التأمين الخاص بك مرة أخرى دون أن يستغل صاحب السكن وضع السكن الغير نظيف ويخصم لك الكثير من قيمة التأمين.
شركة تنظيف سجاد بالرياض
شركة تنظيف موكيت بالرياض
للبدء في أعمال التنظيف، فقط اتصل بشركة تنظيف بالرياض-خادمة أو قم بإرسال رسالة على البريد الإلكتروني لجدولة خدمة التنظيف التي تريدها بشكل مجاني مجانية بحيث يتم تحويلك مباشرة إلى خدمة العملاء التي تتواصل معك لتحصل على خدمة التنظيف التي تريدها وفي الوقت المطلوب دون أبدا أي التزام من جانبك.

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home