Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Getting Out and Getting Cultured


I just realized it's almost midnight and I've told you nothing about my day. I really do love being busy.

My morning PT session made some inroads on muscles that are still very tight, some of which always have been. As much as strengthening those muscles connected directly to my hip, my therapist is working hard on fixing or at least greatly improving my gait. It's a very interesting process. And I have homework to do, more and more each time. But the end result is a feeling of relief as normal movements become just that.

From there my good friend LR picked me up and we went to the free concert, which turned out to be quite enjoyable. We parked right next to the church and went in a side entrance with no stairs. We sat about 15 feet from the 3 performers: clarinet, viola, piano. They played a varied program that ranged from Mozart to Bruch with a more modern composer in between. It was a beautiful setting for chamber music.

Tonight we went to an Arena Stage performance of Edward Albee's "A Delicate Balance", not exactly an uplifting play, but quite well done. Before the play we ate out, my first meal in a restaurant since my accident.

It was nice to concentrate on music and theater and being with good friends, as opposed to the mundane issues of navigating my house!

I didn't manage to get my walk in today, but tomorrow I'm going for 5 houses.

7 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

Nice entertainments! There is nothing better than music to uplift you. When you want to come visit us, we have a barrier-free guest house. You can look it up at www.fewo-kaiserbad.de. But it is snowing here at the moment, so don`t slide! Wait till May!

6:01 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You were busy yesterday! What a lovely day of improving yourself - body and mind - with music, theater and PT work.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Squirrel said...

It's always nice to hear when someone was busy having fun-- too busy having fun, going for a walk, meeting friends, to do other things, -- unlike Angela's our guesthouse has a zillion steps leading up to it, but for years we've been talking about putting in another entrance, one that would be totally accessible to all. I wish we'd done it last summer ! I walk daily and when I'm not 100% I still make myself go outside and walk a little--I think fresh air restorative.

9:24 AM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

oh WOW Barbara,

you've such great progress since I last stopped by! I'm so thrilled for you. And somewhat envious of your day - it sounds wondrous.

I, too, think I'm on the mend - mule hooves crossed. I visited my doctor yesterday, tweaked my 'cocktail' and was given homework ALSO ...

too bad we do not live closer - i would have loved to spend the rest of YOUR day with you!

you rock! you five house girl, you!!

xoxo
rdm

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your day sounds great! Glad you're getting out and about more and more...

F.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Avid Reader said...

An enjoyable concert, a well done play, out to a restaurant--you're doing A ~ OKay!!!!

8:14 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Everyone -- I appreciate your encouragement and patience as I sound like a broken record each day recounting the few new baby steps!

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home