Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back




I knew my progress was too good to be true. I was walking so well the day before yesterday that I thought I was ready to abandon my single crutch.

Then I attempted to stand up from a seated position yesterday morning without completely extending my right leg, the way I had been taught to do it. I felt pain and sat back down, but evidently not before straining some muscle that complained all day long.

I was a bit of a bitch yesterday as I wallowed in self-pity and demanded to be returned to my relatively painfree state of health. I hadn’t had a P pill for over 24 hours. And then I was taking them at 8-hour intervals. All because I forgot to straighten my leg. How much must I remember?

I talked to 100-year-old Aunt Zelda last night, who just had to say, “Remember to be careful so you don’t fall again.” That was almost too much.

Deborah was over to deliver a hook for my crutch. She made me promise to take a P pill before bed.

I need a massage in the worst way. I tried massaging my own hurting leg, but it's not the same as having capable trained hands do it.

So today I go see the surgeon for my follow-up visit. I had hoped to wow him with my recovery as he removed the staples from my 4-inch incision. Instead I will ask him what in the world I did to render my leg and metal hip so sore once again.

I’m making headway on portable toilet risers and an outpatient PT provider, but I can’t seem to have an impact on the healing process itself, which has a mind of its own.

I don’t much like not being in control.

15 Comments:

Blogger e said...

I'm sorry you've had a bit of a set back, but it isn't permanent. Please don't be so hard on yourself!

BTW, that control thing you mentioned? It is a bitch for everyone. Just remind yourself that "this too shall pass." Concentrate on what you can do to get back to where you were, that way, you are doing something positive, and take your pain pills as you need to.

You will recover!

8:40 AM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

it's still early days and you must be kind to yourself here.
No running before you can walk, or in your case standing alone before your ready!!
xx

10:49 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Be good and patient with yourself, Barbara! This ALWAYS happens. We forget how careful we must be and overdo it. It is natural, don`t get angry with yourself. It is a good sign, really. Your body is trusting that you will return to your old self soon! Now get some rest and read some more poems! I liked yours!

10:59 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You really are doing great! It must be frustrating to have a set back, but just think where you were a week ago. Two weeks ago. It's amazing.

1:18 PM  
Blogger tut-tut said...

I agree with all above! Take it one bit at a time. Let go . . . though that's always easy to say, isn't it?

1:52 PM  
Blogger karen said...

oh Barbara! Aunt Zelda.. really! You are doing brilliantly! As e says "this too shall pass..". I've been there, I absolutely know that frustration - at least you can offload in blogland, and we will all listen and give you loads of sympathy & encouragement.. hope your follow up visit goes well x

1:59 PM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Easy does it, Easy Rider! We do recover! Everythings allright allready!

5:32 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Everyone -- Thanks for the loads of encouragement. Today I've turned another positive corner. I had an enlightening visit to see the surgeon who showed me an X-ray of this foreign thing that's now my hip. Amazing that it extends about 6" into the top of my femur. I've been cleared to do whatever feels good to me, including walking with a cane or without, driving, sex, you name it. No shoe-tying just yet, but that too will come in a matter of months. So life slowly returns to some semblance of normal. The pain has retreated so the P pills are once again in cold storage hopefully to stay there.

I can only say it's simply amazing what a difference a day makes! My glass is once again half FULL!

5:54 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Ouch. Unexpected pain like that is always unsettling. It is hard to remember to be careful when you begin to feel more like your old self but do try to pamper yourself and take all the precautions you need. It seems that you are recovering rather fast (and well) but as with any recovery there is always that 'two steps forward, one step back' phase.

8:21 PM  
Blogger media concepts said...

Just take it slow, follow the rehab instructions, and you'll be great. Everyone I know who had a hip replaced (including a grandfather over 90!) felt super-benefits within a few months or less.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- The good news is I'm moving forward once again.

MC -- I could be a poster child for THR rehab. I am being so good about doing what they tell me to do (most of the time). Glad to hear positive feedback from people you know who have had this surgery.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

One thing that will probably happen is that you'll make progress that you don't even notice. When school ended last December I was pretty much still using the elevator most of the time. Now, finally, the steps are no big deal. I thought my foot would never get better but apparently it managed to heal without me noticing. I think the one step back happens when you push yourself and that is sometimes a bad thing but not always - it gives you a little perspective on how you are really doing. And it sounds like you are doing great!

12:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad this "blip" has past! Now, on to two more (careful) steps forward!

-F.

11:13 PM  
Blogger Reya Mellicker said...

The idea of being in control is always an illusion.

Keep breathing and take good care. You're getting there.

10:17 AM  
Blogger lettuce said...

sometimes bitchiness is just fair enough

i hope the soreness is subsiding

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home