Sunday, February 15, 2009

Yearning for Yoga



One of the things I miss the most as I recover from a total hip replacement is my practice of yoga. It wasn’t that I was ever phenomenal at any of the poses, but the stretching and meditative qualities of yoga served me well.

I’ve touched briefly on this with my physical therapist, who tells me no more child’s pose, no more pigeon EVER! And probably a lot of other poses. This is not what I wanted to hear.

I placed calls to a few local yoga studios, but have yet to get anyone to return my call about the possibility of therapeutic yoga for someone in my condition.

Then I found this online, which was much more encouraging. Not only did this person return to his full practice of yoga, but the yoga helped him tremendously in his recovery.

I’m sure if I ask my surgeon, I will get some ambivalent answer about the ultimate limitations. So my first question is who is an authority I can trust in terms of giving me practical guidance on resuming my yoga practice? I’m still wondering if there is anyone in the DC area who has had experience working with people who have had a THR?

As my strength returns and my pain subsides, I’m getting more and more anxious to pick up my life where it left off on January 20. Yoga and pilates were both important components at that point, so I am now determined to figure out how to re-incorporate them.

As with simple things like putting on your underwear and tying your right shoe, doing yoga and pilates may take some careful planning. At this point, I am ready to find out.

8 Comments:

Blogger Squirrel said...

I'm a complete Pilates freak myself, esp after suffering a neck injury during a yoga class (while being helped into a pose by the instructor.) then she tried to "fix" my neck. not good!!!!

But pilates and tai chi have been very very good to me, and I might never have discovered them if not for the yoga lady's help.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Squirrel -- I too injured my shoulder when being "corrected" by an enthusiastic substitute yoga teacher. It took a long time to mend.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I'm a big fan of yogurt. I tried yoga, but I fall asleep easily and snore. Not good.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle -- I too like yogurt, especially my homemade yogurt. As for falling asleep in yoga, I assume you mean in the final relaxation. I don't think it's a yoga sin to fall asleep, probably just means you are really relaxed! I always think it's sort of funny when I hear people snoring.

10:02 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I wish you luck in finding someone to help with therapeutic yoga. You've written so much about it over the years; it seems pretty integral to who you are. You might just need a little more time.

11:12 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

I often think the medical profession will err on the side of caution- what with all those darn lawsuits out there.

As with any discipline- beginning cautiously and listening to your body (stop when it wants to stop) is probably good practice to begin with.
You'll definitely know quickly what you will be able to do, or not to do.

Besides, savasana is ALWAYS doable.
And my favorite (but then again I don't snore- I don't think)

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barbara, I think YOU are the ultimate expert on your own body. Often when we injure ourselves in yoga or other practices, it's when our head is leading the body (via expectations, inattention, goals, etc.). I know that your fall, surgery, and recuperation are offering you tons of opportunities to really listen to and be in your body in new ways. And you're making the most of it! You'll create your own new Barbara Yoga, over time.

XO,

F.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I'm still looking and I'm more determined than ever! It would help if I lived in California...

Gewels -- You are so correct. From what I've been reading, the best advice in any yoga pose is to take it to the point of resistance and then not to push. For a while at least, there will be some poses to avoid, but the future doesn't sound nearly as bleak as I had thought.

Anon -- I promise that I will listen to whatever my body has to say. Every day it gives me permission to do just a little bit more, to bend just a little bit further, to assume more weight on my right leg, etc. I may well have my own "brand" of yoga when all is said and done!

10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home