Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Economies of CSA Scale



I got a behind-the-scenes view of how the CSA operates this week. On Monday afternoon I volunteered to cut raw milk organic cheddar cheese, one of the offerings in this week’s delivery. This morning I worked for several hours to prepare the food to be moved out to the various pick-up sites. It is an impressive but daunting operation.

It even called upon my math skills. I had to figure out how many ounces of Swiss chard every shareholder got when the farmer gave us 60 pounds of chard, etc. Then I had to determine how many pounds each site would get depending on the number of members.

There was loading, schlepping, bagging, counting, labeling, and numerous other somewhat menial tasks. But I was in the company of like-minded people who appreciate the value of fresh and local. I packed all the cheese and the lentils this week. I knew who packed the other items.



As I spread my week’s delivery out on the counter, I had a renewed appreciation of how it was put together.

The CSA is run out of a yoga ashram. As I left, the coordinator told me I had earned extra karma points this week by volunteering!

7 Comments:

Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

Nice photos, Barbara!
It must feel pretty good to get some positive karma points! :::smile::

9:30 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- I figure it can't hurt!

9:48 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Definitely good karma for you! I know how much I love getting fresh, local produce.

10:20 PM  
Blogger Pauline said...

this post makes me anxious to get out into the garden!

6:00 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Karma points? Man, theres something wrong with that!

10:42 AM  
Blogger media concepts said...

This is interesting. So what does the "CSA" acronym stand for? I tried to guess but couldn't figure it out.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- CSA stands for community supported agriculture. This and this provide more information. Our CSA runs all year fortunately.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home