Thursday, March 26, 2009

A Recent Discovery



This past week I discovered a little secret in DC: A handicap placard entitles you to some stated amount of free parking in public spaces. It seems to be roughly twice the length as posted for the paying patrons.

This was enormously helpful to me today when I went to get my hair cut at Axis near Dupont Circle. I never park in the one-hour meters just outside the salon door because I can’t count on being done in an hour. But today I got two free hours just for putting a sign in my window.

I’m sort of on the edge of feeling guilty about doing this. I could probably have walked from a 2-hour space (some of which are not metered). I certainly have enough money (still) to pay for parking.

But I have gotten into this routine of pulling out my placard and cashing in on the free parking.

I look at it this way: Throughout my years in this area, I have fed many a meter and paid many a parking ticket in DC. In other words, I rationalize my use of this privilege by the fact that I’ve paid my dues.

In July when my placard expires, I will go back to being just another driver looking for a legal space with time on the meter. But I must admit the free parking is really nice while it lasts.

7 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Take it where you can get it.

10:12 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Go for it- How many perks does one get in life anyway?

8:26 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle, Gewels -- That was my thinking exactly. Hopefully by July I won't even think about needing it anymore!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You did just have a hip replaced. It's not like you're stealing the card from your aging neighbor's car or anything, which would be a little shady.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Absolutely. I agree with the others. Enjoy the perc!

10:00 AM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Now if you can get $200 and pass Go, you'll really be living. :)

Enjoy.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lacochran -- Do you think I could possibly get a hotel on Boardwalk until July?

10:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home