Saturday, March 28, 2009

Searching



Just yesterday I commented to a friend that I seem to be searching for something to feel passionate about. For the past 2 months I have been passionate about recovering from my accident and surgery, but I seem to be mostly better now (although there are moments when I wonder if and when I will ever be totally pain-free).

My friend responded, “Ah, searching for what you're passionate about...that's a tricky one! Who knows -- Will it be a single thing? Or a particular balanced synthesis of multiple things? Or will it be an attitudinal shift toward the things you're already doing? Hmmm....?”

It’s not that I am not busy. I have more than enough to occupy my time, most of which I enjoy doing. But unfortunately sometimes I feel like I’m just going through the motions of life.

This week I had dinner at another friend’s house in the company of someone who obviously feels passionately about what he does. He writes poetry, creates framable art with Photoshop, makes furniture, builds sets for operas, and happens to be one of the nicest guys I know. He puts his heart and soul into his creations, often adding images of his wife’s cello in his art. He’s not getting rich, but he is incredibly happy and seemingly fulfilled.

I want to feel like that. I want to find something that causes my heart to come alive and swell. I hope soon to be able to answer my friend’s question.

What do you feel passionate about?

12 Comments:

Blogger lacochran said...

One way to approach this is to get into a meditative state and imagine yourself waking up to your perfect day. Then journal whatever you see, smeel, feel, taste, etc. Your subconscious knows what's calling you.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Lacochran -- I will have to try this and see what my subconscious has to say.

7:40 PM  
Blogger Kellyann Brown said...

I read a book called, "I Could Do Anything if I Only Knew What It was" by Barbara Sher. Actually I only read about 1/4 of it... but it started me down a path. Then I reada book by Debbie Ford which pushed me further down that same path. This path led me to start work on my doctorate... talk about finding my obsession!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

MY boys
My friends
My work
My bed
My garden swingseat when it's warm enough to sit out on.
My bath
My survival after cancer
I could go on for a long time
So maybe it's just about being alive still and so grateful for it.
xx

4:09 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kelly -- Everything you write about your work speaks of passion. I'm so glad you started down that path!

Fire Byrd -- A brush with death and life renewed is certainly a cause for passion. In my own case it's a complacency that has taken the place of passion. I don't need any more health scares, but I do want to rediscover why I am here!

Maybe I would find it if I were to sit on your garden swingseat for a while...

9:18 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I feel passionate about just about everything. It's tiring but I don't know any other way to live.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Don't force things, they will become a burden. Be open and the passion will find you. That may sound trite, but...

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I smiled as I read Kristin's comment: I feel the same way!
Barbara, there's a Rumi quote I'll look up and send you that's a propos of your musings...

X,

F.

3:53 PM  
Blogger WW said...

Well, it sounds like many of your commentors know what they're passionate about...

But I too, am in in a passionateless situation. I too, am just going through the motions - but looking for that thing (or things) that make my heart swell....but very often these days I think it's not going to happen.

M.

5:14 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I can attest to the fact that you approach everything in life with passion. I'm envious!

Merle -- I'm open and waiting, really I am!

Anon -- Welcome back to the Blogosphere. I love Rumi and will look for that quote. You are so resourceful and yes, passionate about life, as far as I can tell.

WW -- I'm so glad someone else can identify with my current state. Do I know you? There is something about you that seems familiar!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I think Merle is right -- it's not something you can search for. I bet you're passionate about some things already and just don't quite recognize it.

I've become quite passionate about graffiti and street photography, which puzzles virtually everyone who knows me. :)

7:34 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Steve -- I like Merle's advice too!

9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home