Saturday, May 30, 2009

A Chance Encounter

Somewhat by chance I met someone for the first time tonight only to realize I’ll probably never see him again. I’m thinking I missed out on a very special person.

My friend Deborah plays in multiple orchestras. She managed to find a free ticket for me to hear the McLean Orchestra play tonight. She had also invited Louis, a 92-year-old patient and long-time friend of hers.

The only thing that might make Louis appear even the least bit old is he walks with a cane. He also wears a hearing aid, but he can hear and he is as bright and engaging as they come. Something about Louis reminded me of my father, but he was as talkative as my father wasn’t.

He credits his longevity and good health to Deborah, his doctor for the past 30 years. I found myself saying, “I hope she can keep me going for the next 30 years,” only to realize that she will be 90 by then too and I hope long retired.

She was much more than just a doctor in Louis’ life. He told me her quartet had played at his wife’s funeral. I could tell he really missed his wife.

After talking to this interesting man all evening when the orchestra wasn’t playing, I suddenly realized that I would likely never see him again. He is soon moving to Seattle to live with one of his children, probably about my age.

Our lives intersected for just a few hours. But it was long enough to give me some much-needed inspiration to look positively toward the next 30 years.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

This makes me wonder how many wonderful people we've just missed meeting.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous lr said...

Barbara, just think how fortunate you were to have had the opportunity to meet and be inspired by this man, even if you never see him again. Perhaps he felt the same about meeting you, someone interested in an engaging conversation with him despite his age. He might enjoy your blog and be happy to stay in touch now and after he moves.

10:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very sweet post, Barbara. Thank you!

F.

8:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home