Thursday, May 28, 2009

Out Damn Spot



The 30 seconds of red dye on the rug refuses to end. Jake never imagined what a chain of events he was unleashing.

After I had worked on the initial spots on the rug, they were far from perfect but they were in a room not often used and I wouldn’t have minded leaving it at that.

But Monday after the cleaning people left, I went upstairs to find a bigger very red spot on the hall carpeting and evidence that some sort of red disaster had taken place in my bathroom. (I remembered I had left the opened package of dye in the trash can in my daughter's room, which they must have been emptying.) Why hadn’t they at least told me about it?

My attempts at dealing with the new red rug spots were futile. So I found carpet remnants in the attic and called a carpet cleaning/repair place which agreed to come out and work on my multiple problems.

Yesterday they did an exceptionally nice job of replacing the damaged red carpeting with pieces of remnants. And they also did a badly needed cleaning of all the upstairs carpeting.

They were just getting ready to leave when they asked my husband to turn on the outside water (which had been turned off over the winter). That’s when all hell broke loose because a pipe had obviously burst.

Within minutes of the tidal wave of water, my husband had turned it off. But the water had already flooded the pantry, his office, and was on its way to other parts of the house.

The carpet guys sprang into action, getting a super wet-vac and 3 giant fans from their truck. They stayed an additional half hour and kept apologizing profusely for asking for the water to be turned on. They left the fans behind to blow all night. I can’t imagine how much worse this would have been if they had not been here.

So days later we continue to pay literally and figuratively for 30 seconds of red dye on the rug. As Gewels said, it’s a good thing he’s a cute dog.

I am going to have to have a serious talk with the cleaning people. Meanwhile I need to review words like alfombra (rug), toallas (towels), cuidado de me casa!

9 Comments:

Blogger Merle Sneed said...

Our dog ate a ball point pen on our brand new carpet, leaves a dozen black ink spots. Luckily, I found a trick on the internet and got them out.

Dogs, what can you do?

10:30 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Merle -- You can pet them and say, "I forgive you, because you always forgive me." Wag, wag of tail.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Waterbaby said...

Goodness, poor Jake, I'm sure he feels bad about the spots on the carpet!

4:25 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Yikes! I'm sorry the story continues!

I guess the burst pipe would have revealed itself at some point, even without Jake's involvement -- so maybe that can't rightfully be pinned on him. It's a good thing it happened while the carpet people were there!

As for the cleaning people, yes, they should have told you. I'm surprised they didn't. After all, did they think you wouldn't notice??

5:26 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

WB -- Jake is too busy thinking about his gourmet dinner to remember the spots on the carpet.

Steve -- You are absolutely right. The pipe break had probably already happened some time over the winter. If those guys hadn't been here, we would have spent at least as much $ on emergency service. Does this let Jake or the cleaning people off the hook? Not totally!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Wow. What a mess. Literally. I can appreciate the problems a burst pipe can cause - it's great that there was someone on hand to help! A silver lining to the cloud of Jake's inopportune snack? He brought you help you needed.

10:06 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Oh Barbara! Poor you...

I have to say, I am so glad we do not own any carpets anymore.. I found them (or rather it - we only tried it in one room!) rather stressful with a muddy garden and two boys in the home!

7:39 AM  
Blogger bulletholes said...

Is Jake pissin' Cherry Kool Aid?

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These headaches do seem to come in bunches, don't they? At least you were efficient about it! :-)

F.

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home