Friday, May 29, 2009

Losing a Great Teacher



For months now we have known that we would have to say goodbye to our rabbi Toby sometime this year. The official farewell service was tonight, attended by more people than I have ever seen at a Friday night service. The sanctuary was packed to capacity.

It seemed like just yesterday she was joining the staff, hand-picked by our rabbi Danny. She had never had a congregational position before and we at Temple Micah had never had a second rabbi, so there was a lot of learning for everyone.

But it didn’t take long until she was winning the hearts of young and old. We quickly came to see her greatest strength was in teaching. She made the Torah come alive and learning Hebrew with her was actually fun.

Many of us were in a state of shock when her departure was announced over a year ago. The full story of why it was necessary is still a closely guarded secret among a select few. The rest of us simply know she will soon be gone and we’ve already begun to miss her.

The service tonight was filled with speeches, songs, gifts, clapping, and a standing ovation. When she wasn’t leading the service, Toby was sitting in the front row just taking it all in. There were occasional stray tears, but for the most part she remained upbeat and in total control. I could tell she was extremely touched when 5 teenage girls she had mentored got up and sang a special piece of music to her.

Toby spoke to the congregation at one point, saying she had found God while serving as our rabbi. She thanked us for helping prepare her for her next big step, where she will be The Rabbi of a congregation that worships at the DC Jewish Community Center.

There was no more fitting tribute than the “special prayer” sung by our cantor, which translates as:

Get yourself a teacher; and acquire a friend.
Who is wise? Those who learn from everyone.

She was one of the finest teachers I have ever had. Instead of saying goodbye, I simply said, “Until we meet again,” and I have no doubt we will.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very touching post, Barbara. Your rabbi's new community will be blessed, just as yours has benefited from her enthusiastic teaching and engaging presence. I'm so glad you had time with her!

When I've had to "let go" of a significant teacher, I've sometimes asked myself what their legacy with me seems to be, or how I've grown through my contact with them...?

XO,

F.

11:02 PM  
Blogger lettuce said...

i hope you'll be able to keep in touch

5:48 AM  
Blogger Pauline said...

when one door closes, a window opens. who knows what this will all lead to - for Toby and for your congregation...

6:59 AM  
Blogger tut-tut said...

It's always hard to let go of an important person, isn't it?

8:27 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

You've said such positive things about Toby - I hope you do manage to keep her in your life.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- How interesting to think about Toby's legacy with me. I'm convinced she left her mark on my life.

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home