Wednesday, May 06, 2009

In a Quandary



Yesterday I learned that I would need to undergo a background check if I wanted to continue in a volunteer capacity with an organization that is involved with local children. Not only would I need to initiate it, but I would need to pay $15 for it. And it will have to be repeated in 5-year intervals. I have very mixed feelings as I try to decide whether to comply or to discontinue my participation.

My husband’s first response to this was to question what $15 can possibly cover. It turns out some entity is willing to screen for sex offenders and convicted felons for $15 a head.

There has never been an incident in the history of the organization for which I volunteer. This change was at the insistence of 2 board members. In as sense it’s a CYA move to cover any potential future problem.

I look around at the people who volunteer with me and know we are all squeaky clean. It’s a waste of our time and money to initiate this check. I’m sure we would much rather put our money to something that would tangibly improve the program.

I also hesitate to add to anyone’s current financial burden by imposing the need to pay for the check. It’s not a lot of money, but it’s not as though we are being given a salary to cover this cost.

I’m also somewhat reluctant to hand over my identifying information -- my SS # -- to the screening organization. This will provide them just one more piece of my profile as they learn where I volunteer.

I’m in a real quandary on this. I am committed to the children I am helping, but I have some serious concerns about this latest bureaucratic requirement.

What do you think?

11 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

I can understand both sides, especially given the recent news about Sunday school teacher/murderess and the rarity of such a case.

I went through a background check for another volunteering position with kids. The organization covered the cost so I didn't mind as much. I never really thought about the big brother aspect.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. It's just $15 and a little bureaucracy that adds an extra layer of "CYA" protection, as you put it. Consider it a donation!

4:59 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- I have to remind myself that I would not want to be personally responsible for getting them to back down and then having an ugly incident at one of the sites.

Steve -- Thanks for the kick in the butt! I just went online and applied for my background check. It is very easy to spend money online. I guess in 3-5 days I will know if I am a criminal or not (and the agency for whom I volunteer will too!)

Sometimes I get on my high-horse about things like this and need to be told what to do...

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kids first, given the givens, is my vote.

F.

9:24 PM  
Blogger GEWELS said...

Unfortunately, this is a sign of the times.

Don't you wish we lived back in the days of the Cleavers and Beav?

8:46 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Yeah, I agree. I ultimately voted that way too.

Gewels -- I do wish for the old days. Then I remember June Cleaver with her perfect hair and lipstick on, and of course an apron, as she got ready to put dinner on the table every night.

I think I'll take the background check and all the warts it entails...

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Jodith said...

I worked for several years with an agency dealing with troubled kids, and we always required background checks, even before the state started requiring it. The truth is, agencies like that are a lure to pedophiles. I'd rather have the privacy invasion of the background check than risk having a child harmed when it could have been prevented

5:51 PM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

I understand the feeling, Barbara. I just went and had my fingerprints taken (and during the process the local constable's office went ahead and checked my background - for themselves) for my teaching certification. It's the third time I've gone through this AND I paid almost $100 for this fingerprinting phase ...

it's an unfortunate cost of the times we live in .. but as a parent??? my children's safety and well-being are my TOP priorities. No price is too high to pay.

mule's thoughts
xxx
rdm

11:56 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Jodith, RDM -- I've slowly come to understand the necessity of this. It is scary to think that volunteers may sign on because they are pedophiles; but if that's the case, we do need to take all precautions to screen them out. It may be somewhat more troubling for those of us who have been at this for years. A new volunteer can simply be told this is a requirement before he/she can begin to work with the children.

After talking to some fellow volunteers, I can see the gloom and doom of a mass exodus will probably not happen because of this new requirement. I will now strive to present it in a positive light.

12:01 AM  
Blogger Fire Byrd said...

In any public job paid or voluntary we have to have a check for police records over here. I think it's a good move as it does stop convicted paedophiles being able to slip through the net. The advantage we have is that it's also free here.

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have to do that for our nursery staff at church. BUT-- if someone has already had it done (child care worker, etc) then we can ask for the nursery staff applicant to get a copy of it for our files. Even the 16 yo applicants have to have it done. Crazy world, but safer for the kiddos. Tina

10:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home