Monday, May 04, 2009

Reinventing Cole Slaw



I’ve never been a big fan of coleslaw. It always seemed too sweet, too mayonnaisy. But I had half a head of green cabbage left (after cooking the other half with black eyed peas) and decided to try to find a slaw I might like.

This is a modification of the recipe I found to fit what I happened to have on hand. I also decided to substitute grated uncooked beets for the sugar the recipe called for after declaring war on refined sugar.

Gourmet Cole Slaw

1 cup olive oil (I used lemon olive oil)
1/2 cup red wine vinegar (I used Balsamic)
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon chopped shallots
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry oregano
Salt and pepper
1/2 head green cabbage, julienned
2 small red beets, shredded
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
6-8 miniature multi-color peppers, sliced
1 green onion, green part only, cut into 1-inch lengths

Combine all ingredients down through “salt and pepper” in a quart jar and shake to mix the dressing. Mix all vegetables in a large bowl. Pour the vinaigrette over the vegetables. Toss and chill until ready to serve.

I much prefer the tangy vinegary taste of this slaw to the sweet stuff I grew up with in the South. Besides it's pretty on the plate. I’d definitely make it again.

7 Comments:

Blogger Waterbaby said...

I've never liked cole slaw either, Ill have to try this some time!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Your cole slaw sounds wonderful. I will try it. I do not like mayonaisse-y salads. Gaggy. So have never been a fan of traditional cole slaw either. I make it with a dressing of seasoned rice vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, a little sugar and a couple big splurts of sesame oil, then sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.

2:16 PM  
Blogger Terry Grant said...

Oh, ps. I am off refined sugar as well and often use a little Splenda in my vinegar dressing instead of the sugar.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Avid Reader said...

I'll have to try this -- it's beautiful and the ingredients sound just right.( I've always hated mayo unless it was used VERY VERY sparingly. ) I use Stevia a lot instead of sugar, a tiny bit goes a long way.

I like mustard and have used it to replace mayo in many things, also horseradish and wasabi mixed with a tiny bit of Nayonaise (non mayo stuff ~ less greasy)

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Kate said...

Delicious sounding! I happen to like a mayo slaw but also like the vinegary kind. The beets are a nice touch rather than red cabbage and would add the sweetness. This is definitely a keeper!

3:42 PM  
Blogger red dirt girl said...

this sounds yummy! though i'm partial to sweet AND tart together. i need to eat more vegies. this would definitely appeal to me. maybe not the mulettes. but they're young. there's room for change!

xxx
rdm

7:00 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

Yum. I love coleslaw of any variety and this sounds totally delicious.

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home