Sunday, May 31, 2009

Searching for Zest



Have you ever made a recipe and left out a key ingredient, like lemon zest? The result is acceptable but flat and not nearly as interesting.

I’m feeling a little zestless right now, like I’m missing something in my life that used to be there. I’m trying hard to figure out what it is because I don’t like this feeling.

Even Blogging has suffered. There are days when I don’t really have anything to say. I don’t read Blogs nearly as often as I once did. I read all my comments, but sometimes fail to respond to them. It’s not as though I care any less for my Blogger friends.

If I wake up at night, I find myself hoping it isn’t time to get up yet and I can just drift back to sleep. It used to be the thought of eggs and toast or tea with honey would make me feel excited about getting up.

My days are so predictably filled with the same things. Practicing the piano, exercising, cooking are daily activities. Two sessions of yoga and a piano lesson each week. Wednesday night meditation. Monthly reading at the homeless shelter. Occasionally time to read for myself. It’s not as though I accomplish a whole lot, but I also don’t seem to be sitting around with free time on my hands.

I feel happiest when I am playing music, either by myself or with my friend Deborah.

One of the few things on my horizon to look forward to is the return home of my son from Germany. I’m hoping that will at least temporarily give me a boost.

I don’t feel sad to the point of shedding tears. I simply feel empty. I need to figure out what sort of zest is missing and work to add it back into my life. Maybe it’s the structure of a class. Maybe an art or craft project. Maybe reaching out to people more. Maybe even rediscovering the wonderful qualities of my life partner. Maybe all of these things. I’m on a quest for zest.

13 Comments:

Blogger Pauline said...

every life has fallow moments. rest easy - something exciting is bound to happen sooner or later

2:41 PM  
Blogger rachaelgking said...

"A Quest for Zest" sounds like a great book title...

Just sayin. ;-)

5:26 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

A strange way to add zest to my life but I did it: In the past two days I ironed every item in my basket (113 pieces), sewed on several buttons and repaired a pocket on a favorite pair of shorts. It feels goooooooood! Sometimes something this mundane will add a bit of zest.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I'm with LiLu. Great title...

I fear I might just have too much zest. Putting things in the bag makes me realize that I'm actually going to Jamaica. Normally trips don't scare me but this time I'm terrified. Paralyzed. Over zested.

8:18 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I think I know how you feel. Here's hoping you find that zest!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Cyndy said...

Sometimes the periods that seem like a lull are needed in order to gear up for the good times ahead, whatever they might be.
It's always great to find productive ways to distract yourself like Kate did. I actually started blogging to cheer myself up, but like you I realize that doesn't always work. It seems like a brand new hobby might make you happy. Maybe you should take a class somewhere.

I hope you succeed in your Quest for Zest. You could certainly write a book about that!

12:31 AM  
Blogger karen said...

good luck in your quest! I also sometimes have moments of wondering "is this all there is..." but I know that zestiness will find its way back! x

4:46 AM  
Blogger lacochran said...

If you're seeking a change, you'll find it. You sound to me like you're in a rut. Shake it up, a little.

9:32 AM  
Blogger bozoette said...

I need a similar quest, I think. Let's quest for zest!

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you remembering any of your dreams these days? They may hold a clue...

XO,

F.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kate -- I can't imagine owning 113 items that could be ironed! That image has stuck with me all day.

Anon -- I need to keep a notebook by my bed so I can write down my dreams. Otherwise they flee so fast as I open my eyes. I have been dreaming more lately though; I'm sure of that.

10:57 PM  
Blogger family affairs said...

I know what you mean - I am feeling the same way at the moment - have found you via Karen - we both got the same award from her today! Thought you might need to remember to read your favourite Anais Nin quote again....that's what it's all about Lx

7:57 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

FA -- What a great reminder! The feeling of community at times like these is very therapeutic. I would like to add you to my collection of Blogger friends. Thanks to Karen for introducing us!

5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home