Friday, June 12, 2009

Multiple paths to a caring doc



I’ve recently come to see some radically different approaches to health care. I’m happy to stay with my traditional doctor, supplementing with alternative medicine on my own as needed.

My friend and doctor Deborah has a traditional practice that doesn’t include acupuncture or homeopathy or any of the other alternatives to health. But most of her patients know that she spends an inordinate amount of time keeping track of their history, reminding them when it’s time to have preventative tests done, consulting with their other doctors, and staying current with medical literature. Although she is not available by e-mail, she is available, or at least someone in her practice is always available.

And for me an added benefit is the fact that her practice is a part of Medstar Health and as such is in network for me. Furthermore, I can use Quest Diagnostics for which my health insurance provider pays 100%. As a result, I pay very little for the services of an attentive doctor and for anyone else in the huge Medstar network.

I recently ventured out of network to consult with my husband’s doctor, who was featured in the Washington Post health section this week as one of a growing number of practitioners of integrative medicine, conventional medical care that incorporates strategies such as acupuncture, reiki, and herbal remedies.

I enjoyed the fact that I had e-mail access to this doctor through a patient portal at caringdoc.com. But the charges and specifically the portion for which I was responsible were astronomical compared to what I had been paying. All lab work had to be done through the practice, eliminating my total coverage option. As far as follow-up, Deborah’s practice came out ahead.

At a dinner with my neighbor last week, I learned of another approach that goes under the name of “concierge medicine”, whereby he pays $1500 a year to have a doctor basically on call all the time. Such doctors have agreed to limit their practice to the point where they can be available to their patients. This fee guarantees that his doctor will know his history, will be available by cell phone, and will help him manage his health care issues. But the fee in no way pays for doctor visits or lab work.

As health care costs continue to escalate, I suddenly realize that I have the best of all worlds at an affordable price. I have a doctor who knows my name and cares deeply about my health and that of all of her patients, for which we pay very little beyond a co-pay. I can see anyone of my choosing for acupuncture, reiki, massage, or any other remedy I deem useful. Sometimes it takes looking around at the alternatives to appreciate what you already have.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

It's great to find reassurance in your doctor! Mine have changed so much in the past years and I'm still not that sold on any of them.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Indeed. (Though this isn't the doctor who kept you waiting for hours the other day, is it??)

I favor more government intervention to bring insured medical care within everyone's reach, but I fear it may erode some of what those of us lucky enough to have insurance already enjoy.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- We need to talk!

Steve -- Definitely NOT the doctor who kept me waiting, although if this one had, there would have been a very good reason!

Health care reform is indeed a Catch-22. I do want everyone to experience the same good care and the same level of insurance coverage that I have, but it may just not be possible, especially in the current economic climate. I'm guessing those of us who can afford it will have to pay more to get what we now have once the dust settles on health reform.

4:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home