Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Slacker Citizen



I give myself credit for showing up to vote yesterday, but confess to arriving at the polls totally unprepared. We had been besieged with recorded phone messages, none of which I listened to because I hate robots talking to me.

What I had forgotten was that it was a Democratic primary. I was no longer voting against the other guys, but I had to pick one of my guys and I hadn’t done my homework.

Picture me sitting outside the polling place Googling on my iPhone to get help that would allow me to do more than vote for the one with the prettiest signs or even worse flip a coin.

As it turns out, I probably voted for the wrong guy. Reading about Deeds, the guy who won, today suggests that he would have been a better choice. Fortunately a lot of other people had already figured that out.

R. Creigh Deeds currently represents a rural area of Virginia in the state senate. His record shows that time and time again he has not necessarily voted for the popular thing in his district, but rather for the RIGHT thing to do for the state as a whole. He is determined to improve the state’s transportation system, having supported an unpopular hike in the state’s gas tax. He strongly supports green issues. He makes education a priority. And furthermore, he’s a nice guy.

I should probably have paid more attention to the fact that the Washington Post had endorsed Mr. Deeds.

I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t do a very good job of exercising my civic rights yesterday, all too casually casting my vote. Next time I promise to be better prepared.

9 Comments:

Blogger media concepts said...

At least you voted. I hear the turnout was very light. So here's the question: who polled better against the GOP candidate, Deeds or McAuliffe?

3:45 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

I usually bring the newspaper endorsements into the booth with me, and when in doubt about a candidate I vote that way.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

MC -- Deeds will definitely do better against the GOP candidate because he at least partially supports the gun lobby and in general is seen as fairly conservative.

Steve -- As long as there are still newspapers being published, I will follow your suggestion in the future! :)

8:28 PM  
Blogger karen said...

Well done for voting, though your googling dilemma did make me smile! :)

2:21 AM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I knew a little too much about the race given that I didn't have a dog in the fight. I'm glad that it didn't go the way I feared...

12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I confess that I simply don't vote on issues/candidates about whom I think I know too little. That definitely makes me a less-participatory citizen at times (although I've only actually missed two elections in my life -- I'll go, even if I'm only voting on one contest!)...

F.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Karen -- Sort of like reading "Cliff's Notes" before a big exam. Definitely feels like cheating. (You must have had some equivalent in the UK!)

Kristin -- I'm anxious to know the details of your comment.

Anon -- It felt very odd not to have the necessary facts to make an informed decision. But it was such a lesson in how hype can influence.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Merle Sneed said...

I have always judged McAuliffe to be a skunk.

1:34 AM  
Blogger lacochran said...

Commentary about the race says Deeds already lost once to the GOP guy he'll be up against. Let's hope that two times' the charm.

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home