Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Waiting Game


I was on time for my 3:00 appointment, despite the fact that I-395 was closed because of the Holocaust Memorial shooting. At 3:05 I entered the lovely room where I would wait and wait and wait some more for the doctor who would hopefully pronounce me melanoma-free.

It’s a teaching hospital, so I’m always first seen by a resident. I figure 4 eyes are better than 2. He must have come in a little after 3:45. But then he left me lying there on an uncomfortable examining table with my little open-in-the-back gown waiting for the senior doctor.

A couple of times nurses popped their heads in to either say the doctor was coming or in one case ask my name. I worried aloud to one of them that I wouldn’t have enough money to pay for parking, so she took pity and found a “free parking” coupon for me, which oddly enough reminded me of a “get out of jail free” card.



At some point, everyone seemed to lose interest in me. I could hear people leaving for the day. I panicked that they were just leaving me in that room and going home for the night.

I usually look forward to my conversation with this doctor, but by the time he came in at 4:45 I was too angry to be much more than civil. I wanted him to say that he had just had emergency surgery to remove a giant melanoma from some other patient, but instead he offered no excuses for keeping me waiting for almost 2 hours. He looked me over and pronounced me cancer-free (always a comforting adjective to hear). The resident froze a seborrheic keratosis on my leg that looked like a wart. And then I was free to go.



As I walked out after 5:00, I heard a nurse announce, “That’s the last one.” I’m going for the first appointment of the day on my next 6-month visit.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Wow. I've been there before - it's made me change doctors. There's no excuse for that, not if there isn't one given, at least.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Steve Reed said...

Why do doctors always think their time is more valuable than anyone else's?

1:30 PM  
Anonymous lr said...

Barbara, I thought of you and all of us who've had the long lonely wait at a doctor's office when I saw this comic today. I am glad that you got a clean bill of physical health, but the wait did nothing for your mental health, I'm sure!
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/artsandliving/comics/king_hagar_horrible.html?name=Hagar_The_Horrible

2:33 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Kristin -- It's such a helpless feeling to be totally at their mercy!

Steve -- In most medical practices, arriving even 15 minutes late for an appointment cancels your slot, often requiring that you pay the minimum fee as well as reschedule.

Maybe doctors should offer a rebate if they are X minutes late, the way contractors have to pay a fine for being past deadline?!

LR -- Thanks for the "comic" relief!

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Despite the horrible wait, let's focus on the good news: cancer-free! Hurray!

F.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- Definitely worth the wait!

8:40 PM  
Blogger lacochran said...

With doctors and flights, the first in the morning is best. Everything else gets backed up.

2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home