Saturday, June 06, 2009

Sometimes you just get lucky


When I went into Borders yesterday with an 11-year-old gift certificate, I fully expected them to tell me it had expired and wouldn’t have even complained much if they had.



I got up to the counter to pay and the clerk said, “I’ve never seen one like this. It may not scan.” He called over another more senior sales clerk who had actually been around in 1998 and vaguely remembered seeing these. He was willing to give it a try.

We were incredulous when the clerk scanned the barcode and it was recognized!

So instead of having to whip out my Visa card, I was actually issued a modern-day gift card loaded with my balance of $12.42.

Borders may be not be thriving these days, but they have done something right in the area of automation. Bravo to them for making good on an ancient piece of paper!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well that is great news.

I have a 9 year old gift card for a massage and facial at Bloomingdale's that I don't have the nerve to use. Maybe this post is a sign that I should give it a shot.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Waterbaby said...

Any time spent at Border's is a good time. I love getting new books, they always smell so good!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Gary -- Don't waste any time. Go use your gift card. I'm sure they will make it good and you will end up feeling great as a result.

WB -- You are so right about that new book smell!

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for them for honoring it! Enjoy your new book.

F.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Anon -- I actually bought a birthday present for my good friend Deborah's husband. In addition to books, Borders has a lot of nice little things that make good gifts.

But there's enough left on my gift card that I could go back and buy a book!

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home